Today (Jan 11) is the last day to vote for Qt3's best game of 2018!

Go vote in the linked thread already!

Voting closes at 23:59 Pacific Standard Time (America) on Friday, January 11.

I have no clue how this is going to shake out. Red Dead Redemption 2 isn’t the slam dunk I thought it was, especially since it’s not out on PC yet. But then, there’s so many other games that have gotten a lot of votes, like Dead Cells, Into the Breach, Battletech, Slay the Spire, Subnautica and others. This year’s vote is pretty exciting. I’m also wondering where some of my favorites will end up, like Forza Horizon 4, and Overload. They definitely didn’t get enough votes to win, but they got more votes than I was expecting.

ezgif-3-f2ae5d4b915e

And don’t forget the Best Boardgame thread, which is like the Quarterlies but with more boardgames and Mick Mulvaney references.

I wish I could take part in that thread, but I have nobody to boardgame with. Sure, I’ve become enamoured and purchased board games with the intention of maybe one day making friends and playing them… but instead I just open the boxes and read the cards, play with the pieces, and thumb through the manuals.

At Thanksgiving my eldest brother bought Catan for my other brother and his four kids (aged 6 to 12). It was great seeing them play Catan. It was the first time I’d seen someone play a board game since I left the Seattle area in the early 2000s.

I haven’t done any kind of counting so could be wrong, but at this point I’d be surprised if Battletech doesn’t win it. With maybe Subnautica in second place.

When my hack goes through, DQ11 is gonna grab the come-from-behind victory!

I really enjoyed the 15 hours I spent with DQ11, then other things came up and I still haven’t gone back to it :(

One day I will finish it!

@ArmandoPenblade I spent some time with DQXI and really enjoyed it. I just got distracted (as seems to always happen) but I do intend to play through it. What I saw was great. It was a relaxing game to play.

This for me was really key. It’s been a long and stressful and busy (albeit good!) year, and having that game as something calming and bright and charming to fall back to was super relieving for me.