Tolerance: Church learns vet was gay, cancels memorial

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20221295/

ARLINGTON, Texas - A megachurch canceled a memorial service for a Navy veteran 24 hours before it was to start because the deceased was gay.Officials at the nondenominational High Point Church knew that Cecil Howard Sinclair was gay when they offered to host his service, said his sister, Kathleen Wright. But after his obituary listed his life partner as one of his survivors, she said, it was called off.

“It’s a slap in the face. It’s like, ’Oh, we’re sorry he died, but he’s gay so we can’t help you,”’ she said Friday.
Wright said High Point offered to hold the service for Sinclair because their brother is a janitor there. Sinclair, who served in the first Gulf War, died Monday at age 46 from an infection after surgery to prepare him for a heart transplant.The church’s pastor, the Rev. Gary Simons, said no one knew Sinclair, who was not a church member, was gay until the day before the Thursday service, when staff members putting together his video tribute saw pictures of men “engaging in clear affection, kissing and embracing.”

‘It’s not that we didn’t love the family’
Simons said the church believes homosexuality is a sin, and it would have appeared to endorse that lifestyle if the service had been held there.

We did decline to host the service — not based on hatred, not based on discrimination, but based on principle,” Simons told The Associated Press. “Had we known it on the day they first spoke about it — yes, we would have declined then. It’s not that we didn’t love the family.”

WWJD?

Yep.

So, presumably they don’t have funerals for adulterors, or masturbators, or liars, or, you know, anyone else who performs any kind of sin, right? Oh, they do? Because everyone is a sinner? So, they’re just massive fucking hypocrites, then, huh?

Um, no. Assuming that this “non-denominational” church works the same as the big Christian churches, sinners are supposed to have repented by the time they’re in the coffin, and the mourners are certainly supposed not to endorse those sins at the funeral. But from the report it’s clear that the deceased did not consider his homosexuality a sin and did not repent, and his family endorsed that point of view. Ergo, the church quite reasonably wants nothing to do with the funeral.

And their logic proves to reasonable-minded people that their style of religion should have died out in the Renaissance.

Well, I’m an atheist myself… it’s that gay vet and his family who wanted to stay in their gay-hatin’ church, not me.

Sinclair wasn’t even a church member but they said yes at first… then they found out he was Satan, I mean gay, and BAM! No church for you!

Officials at the nondenominational High Point Church knew that Cecil Howard Sinclair was gay when they offered to host his service, said his sister, Kathleen Wright. But after his obituary listed his life partner as one of his survivors, she said, it was called off.

Right.

Sorry, I don’t buy it. Christianity is based on “for all have sinned.” If you decide one sin is worse than another and thus won’t host a funeral for one vs. the others, that’s just hypocricy (sp). Gluttony is a sin - “Oh, we didn’t know she was still pigging out on Big Macs before the funeral, funeral is off.” Lying is the sin mentioned most in the Bible and for which God expresses much disdain - “Whoops, turns out the funeral if off, Jason just flat out lied to his boss and his brother in law last week.” Paul of New Testament fame said “you know, even though I know right from wrong I continue to do what’s wrong and not do what’s right, over and over.” Sorry, Paul, you don’t live up to our standards, no funeral for you in our church!

Woah…you just hypothetically killed Jason!

It’s ok, it’s FOR THE HORDE!

Well, yeah, but the worst thing that could be told about him at his funeral was that he fibbed about being sick to his boss so he could stay home and finish his Oblivion Mod disc.

Seriously, though, you’d think Christian churches had decided to ignore the lesson’s Jesus tried to teach. Like when he told the self righteous crowd to go ahead and stone the admitted adultress, just let the person who hadn’t sinned himself throw the first rock. Christian churches need to drop the rocks in their hands.

Not a chance. Feeling superior to others is one of the last bastions of Christianity most people enjoy.

And no, I am NOT saying that all Christians are hypocrites or sadists…but an awful lot of them are, in my experience.

Don’t be silly. Of course different sins can have different degrees of seriousness. Catholicism actually divides sins into three different categories: venial, mortal (these are the serious ones), and original (this one you get just for being human). Even with in these categories there are different levels of sinfulness, i.e. its far worse to blasphemy God then it is to insult your parents.

Of course, thats the Catholic view point which may or may not have anything in common with a non-denominational “christian” church. I know nothing about its beliefs, but I’d guess its one of those “faith is all you need to be saved” kind of places.

Of course, thats the Catholic view point which may or may not have anything in common with a non-denominational “christian” church. I know nothing about its beliefs, but I’d guess its one of those “faith is all you need to be saved” kind of places.

The main teaching in the protestant church I spent much of my youth in was all sin is the same before God. It also held that faith and repentance is all you need to be saved. Though repentance is more than just sing…er, saying, “Oops, I did it again. Sorry God.” It’s state of mind that leads to actions of repentance.

Protestant Christianity’s entire basis is that no one can keep “the Law” and God doesn’t grade on a curve (“Man, that was SO close - if you’d have just helped out one more time in a soup kitchen you’d have made the full 100 points needed…”) The New Testament is filled with “all have sinned and fallen short” teachings. It doesn’t mean that some things aren’t worse than others - sure, Hitler was a worse person than Billy Graham - but the foundation is that no one is good enough to hold themselves up and point fingers at someone else and puff out their chest and say “well, I’m better than HIM!”

Yeah, the principle of a hatred and discrimination.

I hope the Britney Spears reference was intentional.

Freedom of Religion and all that.