Tolkien's Birthday

Geekiest post ever, but I caught this at Salon. Thought a few of the more fervantly faithful would enjoy it.

Tolkien, had he survived, would be Eleventy-One today. 111.

http://www.salon.com/books/wire/2003/01/03/tolkien/index.html

Heh, thanks for sharing. I will pass this on to my wife, who I am sure will be pleased to hear.

I read that today on Salon also. Here’s to you Mr. Tolkien :D

-DavidCPA

He’s just another dead white asshole. Get over it.

They actually had a feature on it on CNN today as well. That’s pretty crazy when someone’s non-birthday makes a bunch of mainstream news sites.

Riiight, but when holidays are assigned to those days (Washington, Jefferson, etc.) its not?

Once this movie stuff dies down Tolkien will return to fringe status.

As much as I almost exclaimed “WTF” at the theater when I heard “today weez my eweventy foist boirsday”, I miss it when I watch the “one hundred and eleventh” version on DVD =/

Riiight, but when holidays are assigned to those days (Washington, Jefferson, etc.) its not?.[/quote]

Not quite sure if you have a point here that you’re trying to express, but I think I’m on your side, although that might be what the mayor of troy thought of the cool horse at the door.

I did forget that Americans celebrate the birthdays of Presidents, etc. – I don’t know if any other countries do that - it’s definitely a foreign custom to us, although we do have a long weekend in May that’s theoretically in honour of a 19th Century Queen of England who was a cousin to Kaiser Wilhelm II. I’m not quite sure why, but maybe if you filter that rationale through the Rosetta stone you use to interpret your own insane posts and you’ll unlock the key to the commonwealth.

Fuck Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings.

Not quite sure if you have a point here that you’re trying to express, but I think I’m on your side, although that might be what the mayor of troy thought of the cool horse at the door.

I did forget that Americans celebrate the birthdays of Presidents, etc. – I don’t know if any other countries do that - it’s definitely a foreign custom to us, although we do have a long weekend in May that’s theoretically in honour of a 19th Century Queen of England who was a cousin to Kaiser Wilhelm II. I’m not quite sure why, but maybe if you filter that rationale through the Rosetta stone you use to interpret your own insane posts and you’ll unlock the key to the commonwealth.

Stefan, it is very rare that I read a post and immediately start pumping my fist while mouthing “Yes!”, but yours just made me do it.

Someone should start up a “Best Brian Koontz Smack-Down?” thread.