Tom Chick's top ten games of 2021

@Rez

//4||7 70 b3 4 |-|4><0R3R 907 70 L34R|| 70 U53 7|-|3 |<3’/B04RD

Translating: “Want to be a hacker? Got to learn to use the keyboard”

When you say keyboard only, are we talking arrow keys and enter to navigate, typing MUD-style commands, needing access to dozens of keyboard shortcuts? Just asking before I spend $15…

Yep. There’s a review with discussion thread here if you’d like to know more:

But it is indeed keyboard only, and as I mention, I feel it adds more to the game than just the inconvenience of being unable to use your mouse. There might be reasons not to spend your $15, but the focus on a keyboard shouldn’t be one of them.

-Tom

Thanks; nice review! I could’ve used a screenshot showing how typing the commands work, but there were a couple good examples in the commands (slice leech 4 and the like.) I don’t like games where many of the commands have to be discovered and this seems to derive its tension from other sources and designs, as you noted.

I loved Netrunner so, so much. So sad that all the local metas are dead. So I will definitely be playing this and probably hoping they make a sequel played from the corp side.

I heard from @SorenJohnson that you named us @tomchick as your top game. Since then I avoided Qt3 just like I avoided that cool guy who told my best friend he liked me back in school days. I felt nervous and unable to explain how much your choice means to us.
Now that I am here, thank you so very much. This forum is where we come to geek out with likeminded folks and I don’t take opinions shared here for granted. This means the world to me. Thanks again.

I just wanted to say thanks for this post; that’s an impressive humbleboast!

The overwhelming zeitgeist I run into on other parts of the web seems to be ‘gameplay first’ or even ‘you got story in my videogame!’; I’ve appreciated experiences like “Tales From the Borderlands” greatly, owing roots to “Full Throttle”, naturally. The very first videogame I purchased was “Indiana Jones: The Graphic Adventure” (1989).

All this to say it’s slowly dawned on me that I tend to appreciate stories in videogame more than your average, whatever. I’m replying partly so I can bookmark some didactic ammo next time I run into one of these ‘gameplay first’ purists. And don’t get me wrong: I love Dwarf Fortress (I’m just not very good at it).

I’ve been mentioning it here and there, but I’ve recently been wowed by Katana Zero: it’s got blistering, lightning-quick gameplay elements (twitch), it’s linear, but also pretty good storytelling. A “flawed masterpiece” that marries fun gameplay with good interactive storytelling better than most (I’d say).

@tomchick I only posted my run-down of my favorite games of last year on Twitter a week ago, so I’m not throwing shade, but I’m sure I’m not the only one super-curious to know what games excited you in 2022. Is a post in the cards?

(BTW, I hope you gave I Was a Teenage Exocolonist a try! You wouldn’t skip a Sarah Northway game, would you?)

Yes @tomchick bless us with you year list. 😃

Twitter… ¬_¬

I’m afraid I would have a hard time coming up with a list of 2022 releases I actually played for any meaningful time. :( I did enjoy the Quarterlies thread, but I didn’t participate because most of my gaming time in 2022 was spent with boardgames and older releases like Old World. Heh, now I’m calling Old World an “older release”…

I have not tried Sarah Northway’s game, but I was glad to see it got its own thread! I’ll be sure to give the game a look.

Oh no! We had a communication fumble, then. The prestigious (and authoritative (and legally binding)) Quarterlies event explicitly welcomes all types of games.

Let’s try to amplify that part of the messaging next year, and let’s not lose another vote for Elden Ring ever again.

Aaah, I totally get it. Sounds like you’re spending your time where it is most fulfilling!

Oh, you mean 2021 Quarterlies winner, Old World?? That ancient thing?

Tom Chick doesn’t play video games any more! The front page is dead! Qt3 is d0med!

Imagine if Tom took the scorched earth approach, and just started half-assing it like a regular games blog.

“Tom Chick’s top 10 games with cats in them”

Okay, bad example, I would love that.

I would love to see a list from Tom of top boardgames played in 2022. Just saying.

At this point I’ll take any top 10 list from Tom.

Top 10 Sarah Palin wallpapers. :P

I think “Top 10 Games for Creating a Sarah Palin Avatar” would be the right angle.