Tom Chick's Top Ten Movies of 2004

I wont argue that Spider-Man has powers with no relation to his personality, but the original story was “dork kid becomes super-powered, has to learn to deal with it”, and it really had nothing to do with WHAT powers he got.

I do think, though, that Batman’s “powers” were a direct result of his personality. His parents were murdered, he became a reclusive child bent on revenge. His family mansion was built on a series of caves, inhabited by bats. He discovered this (at least in one version of the origin), and was initially terrified of the bats. He got past this, and eventually adopted the bat as his symbol. The idea being that the bat is something most people fear, that is nocturnal. Beyond that, there’s not much connection, but he doesn’t really have any super powers. Just peak human physical ability, supreme hand to hand combat skills, and a brilliant mind that allowed him to turn his family wealth into an empire that probably bests Bill Gates. He uses his tech company as a farm for new gadets (and in some versions does his own inventing as well).

Obviously, it’s far easier to tie powers to personality when you’re born with the power like we’re to presume the heros in the Incredi-verse.

Well, said Tom. You raise a lot of good points. I will have to rethink my aversion to animated films finding their way into my top ten movie of the year list. It shouldn’t be hard since I have 5 or so open slots. :)

Return of the Kind, the Extended Edition."

-Tom

EDIT: Equis busted me for a typo.

It’s King. :P

1. Finding Neverland (you aren’t alone Jim Preston)
  2. Shrek 2
  3. Polar Express (yes, I know)
  4. Spider-Man 2
  5. Triplets of Belleville (didn’t open here until 3/04)
  6. Kill Bill Vol 2
  7. Incredibles
  8. Sideways
  9. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  10. The Very Long Engagement

Funkman, I’m sorry to tell you this, but you’re not hardcore enough for this thread. :)

Son of a… ! I mostly said that because Ive watched a lot of movies this year (at least on average about 2 or so a week) mostly rented. So I was having a hard time thinking of really great films I watched in the theaters. That… and I havent seen a lot of the end of the year, oscar-y movies because they havent come out yet.

But yeah… the Machinist was cool.

I doesn’t help that I have a horrendous schoolboy crush on Kate Winslet (although it is certainly not this bad.) So my love for Neverland and Eternal Sunshine is not suprising. However, I am pathetic enough to admit I’d probably pay money just to watch her pick her nose.

1. Garden State
  2. Eternal Sunshine
  3. The Incredibles
  4. Bourne Supremacy
  5. Kill Bill Vol 2
  6. Motorcycle Diaries
  7. Hotel Rwanda
  8. Cellular
  9. Harry Potter 3
  10. Collateral

I honestly didn’t enjoy Bourne Supremacy that much. Maybe I was just excepting too much out of it, but I really loved the first one.

Thanks for the recommendation. Bin Jip was really, really good, possibly even better than Ki-duk Kim’s movie from last year, Spring, Summer, Fall, Winater… and Spring. If you’re interested in other queer romances between deeply alienated souls (apparently a Korean specialty), you should check out Oasis by Chang-dong Lee and Asako in Ruby Shoes by Je-yong Lee.

My top ten movies of 2004 all consist of Howl’s Moving Castle! Yep! That’s right, all ten spots! :D

ーKitsune

I can only assume that none of you saw Shaun of the Dead. Easily the best movie of last year.

I saw it. Not the best movie of the year, but certainly the best first half of a zombie movie of the year, by far.

ssshh, You’ll wake the Crypt…

But i don’t think it was the best movie of any year.

Certainly, it was good piece of sitcom that manage to last longer than your usual half hour.

The main movies I remember most from last year were

Napoleon Dynamite
The Passion
The Incredibles

I enjoyed Harold and Kumar, Shaun of the Dead and Anchorman.

Also thought Napoleon Dynamite was better than Rushmore. It surprised me.

Sideways kind of annoyed me. And I really liked Payne’s last movie, About Schmidt.

Garden State was ok, a bit of a Lifetime channel movie with some qurkiness. It didn’t wow me like it did alot of people I know.

and Farenheit 911 was good since I hate Bush.

didnt really see alot of movies last year…

etc

I am thrilled that you posted this thread and will submit a list of my top 10 films in a couple of weeks. I still have 3 or 4 more to watch, one today and 2-3 in the next week or two. I do a list every year (though I’ve never posted one here) and I like to have seen every film possible before composing the final 10, so my apologies for being a little behind.

I will say on glancing at your list, Tom, there are a couple that would definitely make mine, which I will go into detail about later, and a few others my eyebrow is raised on. I do have to point out that although Napoleon Dynamite is very ify for me as an overall film, it did have one of the all around best scenes of the year. Anyone who doesn’t think the dance scene doesn’t totally kick ass has no business watching film. Okay, enough babbling, I’m off to see a movie.

Okay. After spending time in front of the DVD player and in movie houses I am going to put up my proposal of the Top Ten Films of 2004. This was a little bit of a struggle, as I do not think there is one great outstanding film this year. This is a bad thing. Every year I look for that one SOLID 4 Star Film and this year didn’t have one. But one or two are what I call low 4 star films and many of the 3.5 star films are very good. Now, there are a few films I did not get to see yet so if for some reason one of them stands out I will amend this list. So without further ado, here it is:

1. The Machinist
  2. Million Dollar Baby
  3. Spiderman 2
  4. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  5. Hotel Rowanda
  6. The Aviator
  7. Sideways
  8. Kill Bill II
  9. Ray
  10. Collateral

Honorable Mention: Donnie Darko: The Director’s Cut
(Since the original cut of the film actually came out in October of 2001 I cannot put it on the top 10 list. But when I went to the theatre and saw Donnie Darko for the 3rd time I knew it was a modern classic and if it had come out this year I would have listed it at #1, no contest)