Tom Clancy's The Division

Yeah so I have been playing this since last month’s humble bundle. The loot chase is dope (not in a good way), the gunplay is crazy (bullet sponge ahoy). But the virtual tourism is worth it. The world is detailed and beautiful, much better than NYC in GTA4. In PvE I feel like a Wild West marshal helping folks out. Respwaning enemies who never remembered me one shoting them from 100 meters away every time not withstanding.

PvP is groanworthy because I just can’t beat PvP geared peeps when I’m out doing the tourist thing. Loot robbery is just pathetic.

Why didn’t any of you jerks tell me that Division was actually a good game?

I’ve been playing it for the past couple of weeks. The idea was just to play enough of the campaign to unlock Survival mode, since that’s the thing that people seemed most enthusiastic about.

The initial playthrough to level 30 was pretty mediocre, except for a few of the main missions which required some proper planning and communication when played with a team of two and a little under-leveled. But mostly the systems and the loot were doing nothing for me. A billion items each giving +3% to some secondary state. The mod management was just painful.

And then it seemed to just be getting worse for the first five hours or so of world level 5. Tons of junk and no way to figure out which of it was any good.

But then we hit something properly challenging (trying to stupidly do an incursion with just the two of us), and had to start experimenting with different builds for the very specific problems that scenario had. And then the way you’re actually supposed to optimize the build (and decide what loot to keep) clicked into place.

It was a bit like Monster Hunter, except more generous drop rates. But strangely they made the good part totally irrelevant and cumbersome early on.

Hm. I’ve done legendary matchmaking with randos five times (three distinct missions), and won all of them except one that disbanded after an instant team-wipe. Of the four wins, only one had any team-wipes.

I think the legendary missions and Resistance are where the game really shines. That’s the whole point of having a loot system with a billion tunables!

Like I’d been playing with a SMG+ballistic shield D3-FNC build for the last few days. I really like it. But it wasn’t really getting the job done when trying to play solo Resistance. Problem was that I obviously needed one skill slot for the ballistic shield, but also living without any healing at all is painful. But I really wanted a turret for some of the later waves…

Eventually ended up adding two pieces of Nomad gear and swapping to an SMG with a Predatory talent instead of the one that had the three DPS talents I love. And suddenly it felt like I was immortal. Even if I got flanked, as long as the ballistic shield was pointed toward the main mass of enemies I would heal faster than the flankers could hurt me. But then that build is totally useless for many other tasks, so it’s not like I’ve solved the game.

You had better luck than I did I guess, I always seem to fall in with a bunch of Leeroy Jenkins whose personal dictionary seemed to be missing the page with “teamwork” on it. Oddly enough, I had pretty good luck with randoms on the incursions, but nobody ever seemed ready to deal with the unique challenges of legendary missions, and I am not able to carry a full team at that level.

Hey, @jsnell, head’s up: The Division, for all of the wonkiness of trying to fit a PvE game into a PvP box (common with “games as a service” these days, unfortunately), is actually a pretty good game.

You can easily disregard the PVP crap if you don’t want to deal with it. I’ve got 427 hours logged and I have not unlocked the achievement for killing another agent that has gone rogue.

Actually, you can’t. No, I don’t mean the “go into the DZ and shoot fools” part… I mean the part where every weapon and skill was normalized into homogeneous vanilla pudding because of PvP concerns.

That’s why I loathe the whole GaaS stuff, because no matter what, it’s always about chasing the meta, because the rest of the weapons are all basically the same with different shapes.

That being said, I never bothered chasing the meta in TD and like you have a bazillion hours in it.

Plus the game’s New York is dead sexy. If there’s one thing that Ubi does right (the execrable Watch Dog 2’s San Fran comes to mind, as well).

Oh right sorry, forgot who I was talking to. Blah blah blah, I hate thing. Got it.

For Division 2 Ubisoft has opted for EAC for anyone looking for information on that. Got an answer from one of the beta-test streamers.

Luckily it looks very similar to D1 so I guess can just continue playing that.

You know, I love the way they mixed in PvP and PvE. It is just one open world and you are given almost complete freedom. You decide whether you want to kill or help randoms, or anything in between.

And that New York. Hawt, in a goth sort of way. Especially for someone who hasn’t been to New York.

But I can’t get over the bullet sponge bit. A headshot is an instant kill, not bazillions shots. And the endgame loot chase has a very steep rate of diminishing return. The gap between “good enough” gear and top gear is huge (so many precious division tech needed, so many bosses to farm).

Nope, as I said, I have a bazillion hours in TD, and liked most of it. But no game is perfect. I mean, three simple little things would have made the game damn near perfect to me:

• actually wrapping up the storyline – the ending is way lame. “Whoops, your terrorist is in another castle!”
  • randomizing item placement/distribution in Survival (why oh why couldn’t Ubi do this???)
  • And the constant meta/nerf tail-chasing

Other than those, TD is probably in my top ten games

Hater

It’s really difficult for me to understand why games that insist on having both PvE and PvP refuse to have separate balancing between the two. I won’t say it necessarily actively ruins things, but the demands are just so different between the two and much more strenuous for PvP. :/

Turbine managed to do that back in Asherons Call days… weird that everyone since (nearly) have been unable to do so.

Maybe Turbine patented the technology…

They seem to do this in places in The Division, like the 6 piece Striker gear set.

And all legendaries completed now. All of them ended up pretty easy, since everyone else than me clearly had the missions down to a science. Maybe the matchmaking pool is different now that Division 2 is imminent? It might be worth giving this another shot.

I’m sure if I had more patience I could have found a better group - I’ve generally had good luck with matchmaking and Division ransoms, it seems like a generallly strong group. But what with the sequel and all these other games coming out in this very short space of time, I’m just thinking I am ready to close the book on the first game.

Must admit, really really enjoyed the Division as a single player game but once you were forced to multiplayer I lost interest quickly. Most games didn’t feel balanced and the constant players quitting or losing connection meant I never enjoyed any of it. Hope Division 2 implements it better but I doubt it. Probably just play it as a single player game as well.

Yeah I dived back in to work on finishing up the PvE story. Game tells me I am at 63% so I have a ways to go. It’s a ghost town trying to find people to help with main story missions. I want to like this game so much, but I just struggle immensely playing it solo.

Coming back to this after the Division 2 beta, the setting of NYC over the winter holidays is just so much better that what I’ve seen of the Division 2.

Oh and hey an Ubisoft office Safehouse!

So a friend told me to just go experience the visuals of the DZ while I am playing now, else I probably never will bother, so decided to put on my big boy pants and do that.

Overall it has some of the most dark/bleak/depressing sights in the entire game, and if anything it makes me a bit mad to see how its lost/wasted on the PvP portion on the game. How many people made it up to the DZ09 area and just looked around?

I spend an hour today sneaking my way around DZ01 thru DZ09 and once you get far up north it you can really see that the shit hit the fan. It’s pretty easy to avoid combat up that direction as squads of enemies are less frequent. But any one of them can 1 shot kill you it seems.

Up till DZ08 body bags were mostly laying out in certain areas and trash/contamination bags were piled high as seen above. After DZ08 shit got real, and you could see the degree of life lost.

I wish the game had a exploration mode with almost zero combat and just tons of stories to discover. And like 100x more echo’s.

Now that you mention it, a tourist mode like AC Origins got might have been cool here.

Trying the Division 2 demo I kept wanting for more Winter New York instead.

Good idea to check out DZ08-09, not sure I been that far ‘north’ before.

Is the shield stuff stopped now, or can you still unlock rewards?

I played at release, single player only, some DZ. I am starting to get an itch to go back. Is there a guide anyone knows of that would let me know what changes to look for from the last two years? Think I picked up the survival x-pack in a Humble deal.