Tom Clancy's The Division

Am I the only one who thinks the slick interface looks out of place? Maybe the video said something that made more sense of it but I had to watch with the sound off for now. Other than that, I really hope this comes to PC. It looks interesting as hell but I’m not sold on a PS4 yet (don’t even care about the Xbone).

This does sound pretty neat. I never thought I’d say that- modern shooters (or even relatively modern WWII) bore me to tears, but this looks like it could be neat, and the last Tom Clancey branded game I thought looked even remotely interesting was Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, and hell, I was bored by the franchise by that point but the Amon Tobin soundtrack dragged me in.

The four-person party actually makes it sound better. I could get my brothers together to go wander around and see what’s there, or one of us could be on tablet helping out, etc.

Any idea of a release date?

Developer interview

The canned MMO chatter kind of kills the mood. I hear “group heal” and “there’s an elite” and I roll my eyes.

But it’s promising for other reasons. I look forward to getting all the table scraps on PC from next-gen console games. It’s great to finally see something that doesn’t look like another UE3 game.

Ha, I had the opposite reaction! Until those started slipping in I was rolling my eyes. I thought: No one playing this game will ever talk like these players are.

Yeah, exact opposite reaction for me too. Using those terms, plus stuff like “group buff” and “pvp”, made me understand more what they’re going for, and made it much more appealing to me. A lot of MMO players will likely find the demo more relatable because of it.

Oh sure, that’s fake too, but combine that with MMO lingo and I couldn’t stop squirming!

What they should’ve had is one guy completely silent, one guy talking with his TV or radio on in the background, one just running forward rushing through everything all the time, and the last party member just chatting about Call of Duty.

The Division is on my watch closely list so far. I expect it to be downright amazing on release, then settle to average once you’ve played awhile when the events and areas become familiar and repeated.

I thought the chatter in The Division demo was far more natural than the stilted, scripted banter we heard in virtually every other demo, but maybe my coop buddies are a little less abrasive than your average online gamer.

Telefrog’s example would’ve been great since that would’ve been the average random PUG which I have experienced while playing Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3. But my friends would trend more towards Joe M’s group which we would talk casually and call out things when the action intensified.

Can someone explain to me what this has to do with Tom Clancy? Does he have novels set in this setting, or are the characters in the game pulled from Clancy’s novels? This seems a weird title to put under a Clancy banner.

You’re a page late! This is a Tom Clancy game because Ubisoft owns that brand and they like money.

Ubisoft owns Clancy now. They can stick it on whatever. But I think the near-future military setting makes it consistent.

I believe Clancy still signs off on the things using his name, but we don’t know what the threshold of his involvement is.

I thought it was AI talking, since it seemed so scripted.

I thought it was in-game in-story scripting, which sounded fine until they started talking about buffs. Then I was like… wha? It wasn’t until the very end that it was truly evident that they were simulating online chatter. Scripted, sure, but it was fairly representative without a ton of cursing. Plus… who walks around in an online game where you can just run? Nobody.

— Alan

Doh! A day late and a dollar short (as usual). It seems to make no sense since there’s no connection to anything Clancy, as far as I can tell (although I’m no expert on the wonderful world of Clancy).

I thought that at first then I spotted the voice meter deal above their heads and put two and two together.

The Wonderful World of Tom Clancy was widely considered the worst show Sid and Marty Krofft ever made.