Tom Cruise tells fans to just say no...to video interpolation

LOL Sorry, that was worded by an idiot. :) I assumed it was like HDR and that an off-camera couldn’t capture it?

But I did take your suggestion and found the video you were talking about, and yes, this is a good example.

Yeah, it can be contingent on the device you’re viewing it on. If you’re watching from a source or on a screen that can’t do the higher refresh, you won’t see the difference (but then you also don’t need to worry about the soap opera effect—you won’t get that either).

Every single comment:
“It’s so amazing looking.”
“So beautiful.”

You should all be thankful I don’t have nuclear weapons. I would have just ended this whole thing.

I’m curious, is that specially shitty because it goes from 24hz to 60hz? Would it be okay if it went from 24hz to 48hz, or 24hz to (24*3) 72hz?

Yeah, I’ve had some coworkers tell me the only reason I like shitty 24 frames per second is that my brain is used to it, and if I watched 60 Hz in the theater for a few years, I’d get used to it.

I admit, that could be true. But it doesn’t feel true.

I mean I watch streamers in 60 fps. But that Matrix thing looked like burnt garbage covered in vomit.

If you ate nothing but over-cooked steak for a couple years you might develop a taste for it as well, but that doesn’t mean it’s good. Tell your coworkers they are just wrong.

The part that bothers me the most is when people move, or when the camera seems to pan. It’s as if different parts of the screen are moving at different speeds.

Some CRT’s had low refresh rate settings, and it made the screen blinky. It was most noticeable if you were seeing the screen in your peripheral vision. There was a girl in college who was doing 12 hour animation days in front of her screen and would always be complaining of migraines. I suggestedshe try setting the refresh rate higher… like everyone else had done… but she gave me one those curt "no"s that make you happy to turn away and let suffer.

There are TVs that will do this to all the things for you! I turn it off the instant I see it, whether it be the inlaws or a friend. I don’t ask.

I believe motion interpolation is on by default in most TVs. Or 3:2 pulldown or whatever it’s called.

edit: okay I just spent the last 2 hours arguing with some buddies with how they are wrong about motion interpolation. I have decided it is an impossible mission.

Yeah, I could live with the soap opera/home video look, but sometimes people’s movements look all jerky or sped up and that is a complete dealbreaker.

I know, right? Tom Cruise even posted a video recently encouraging people to turn it off. There’s a thread discussing it here.

Was visiting the in-laws this summer and we decided to watch a DVD. I corrected the settings on the TV to anamorphic and everyone (wife, father-in-law, and my daughter) was flipping out because it looked better before I fiddled with it - you know, when it “took up the whole screen” and they couldn’t watch it because of the bars on the sides (it was an old black and white film, White Heat) were distracting. I tried to show them the difference, how stretched out the actors and scenery looked, how with the correct setting the image was crisper.

I won, but was annoyed. Then I realized they have never complained at home and that’s when I noticed the bars on this particular TV were not black but white. I hadn’t even noticed until halfway through - I guess because I was focusing on the damn film like they should have been, but once I did it became slightly distracting. Still not as distracting as watching a film in the incorrect aspect ratio!

I am so glad to see you are paying attention!

One of us has to.

That’s because the streamers are filming themselves in 60fps, so you don’t have algorithms trying to fill in any in-between frames. The Matrix looks weird at 60fps because it was filmed at 24fps, and algorithms are trying to fill in the middle.

I sent that matrix video to friends and they like it.

They are dumb.

It might help to give them specific examples where it sucks the most. Like 0:17-0:20 when Hugo Weaving moves his head back and forth slightly. Looks awful.