Tom & Jerry - 2021 live-action

What really bothered me throughout the movie was whoever was directing Chloe on her eyeline was doing a terrible job. She never looked like she was looking in the right direction for whoever she was talking to. So distracting!

I put this on because solely because it was an episode of The Flop House podcast and I wanted something on in the background while I played my Switch on the couch. And yeah, it was painful. But at least it was better than Hillbilly Elegy, which I watched for the same reason.

I think maybe the only thing I liked about the film (aside from the inherent talent of some of the cast) was that they leaned into all of the animals in the world being animated, and it wasn’t a case of the human protagonist dealing with the animals not behaving like normal animals.

well cheers ! Haven’t seen the movie yet, so all I have to go on acting and story-wise are the shots where there is animation interaction, but from our perspective this was a very challenging project… getting the recognizable style down and then adapting the motion to feel right in 24 fps vs traditional hand drawn frame rates was a trick.

Kinda bummed, since this was one of the first movies I could have brought my kids to if we had had a crew screening (age / content-wise), but for Covid. I thought maybe we’d get a streamable link or something, but alas.

spiffy*

*was sometimes the cat and the mouse, and occasionally, the prop that smashes / zaps / splats them

Well now I feel bad! :) In fairness, the visual effects were quite good, and it felt like the animated characters had weight and impact on the world. The destruction during the hotel room chase was particularly well done.