Tom Waits Live

I know he’s performed live. I know he’s considered an amazing live performer. I even saw something on PBS with him singing ballads live. I caught a rip of him doing Going Out West on Arsenio Hall that I consider to be one of the most exhilerating live performances I’ve ever seen… So, why aren’t there ANY Tom Waits concerts on DVD or Video?

There are concert videos for less popular acts, anyone have a clue? Or know where I can find a bootleg or something? I’m getting tired of praying he’ll make a stop here in Milwaukee before I die.

There’s one called Big Time, but it’s out of print. I guess you might be able to find it on Ebay. I made a copy off of a video store copy–they actually required a deposit to rent it.

Nighthawks at the Diner is a live album of his, from 1975.

Just to rub it in, he is in fact amazing live. I caught the “Big Time” tour, as well as his more recent tour for “Mule Variations” - both were absolutely brilliant.

Like the “Nighthawks At The Diner” record, he intersperses his music with the occassional meandering story or shaggy-dog tail: “People often ask me, ‘Tom - can a women get pregnant without having intercourse?’ Well, for the answer to that we have to go all the way back to the Civil War…”

R27

Is the Live album mentioned above worth it? I like his early stuff but, come on, no live albums post 1975!?!? What I really want is a DVD. Bootleggers! Why have you forsaken me?!? (I mean, really, the local Alt Record Store in Milwaukee has 4 non-retail Melissa Etheridge concerts!

And yes, I am now jealous of a man named “MadKevin” but I did see Dylan live just last month and it was “transplendant” (to quote Shelly Duvall from Annie Hall).

Actually, from what I understand, “Nighthawks…” was actually recorded in a studio- he had a small nightclub set built into his studio, and recorded the album across a couple of nights. IMO, the album is worth it- that and “Small Change” are my most listened-to Waits albums.

Never seen him live, though- when he came through Seattle a few years ago, tickets were $65 apice for the cheap seats. Sorry, that’s just too much.