Tomb Raider: Lara Croft and the Secret of the Tenth Death Totem

Title Tomb Raider: Lara Croft and the Secret of the Tenth Death Totem
Author Tom Chick
Posted in Game diaries
When February 25, 2013

One of the many ways that Tomb Raider is as good as Rocksteady's Batman games is that it's sprinkled with collectibles. And not just haphazardly. It's not "hey, go get me some feathers!", a la Assassin's Creed..

Read the full article

I love the sound of that. I'm a guy who loves both collecting stuff and thoroughly exploring game worlds (I am offended by dark spots on my game map and always seek to clear them off) so this sounds right up my alley. I mean, I sought out all the pigeons in GTA4 - don't get me started on flags/feathers/almanac pages from Assassin's Creed, man.

Here's hoping it isnt like the 10000 flags you had to collect in Assassins Creed 1, since that was horrible - or the damn feathers in AC2.

hah - sorry - I didn't see your AC comment before now. Great minds and all that ;-)

Yeah, it does sound like they've taken care to make collectibles interesting and fun as Rocksteady did in Arkham City (still working on my 100% NG+ and I WILL FINISH IT SOMEDAY). Sign me up!

Ah Tom do I detect a favorable impression of this game? :)

(I did take a leap of faith and pre-ordered TR on Steam so hope I haven't made a mistake)

Of course it's under the bridge. That's where game designers keep all their stuff.

(That, and behind the waterfall.)

Doesn't everybody?

Since I can already see myself trying to 100% everything in this, thanks for the heads up where the last totem is Tom!

Lara Croft is a character now? Who would have thought that would ever happen?

Corrections:
"and sometimes worth turning over to discover [a] hidden bonus"
"Tomb Raider is one of those all too rare games that puts you in a virtual place you like being [in]"

I spent a few hours with the rental, but it struck me as AAA Hollywood gaming. The most annoying bits of Arkham Asylum (linear progress and quick-time events), without any of the sandbox stuff that made AA good (predator and melees). It might get better, but taking out wolves with a bow and arrow isn't as satisfying as freeflow combat with hordes of bad guys.