Tom's coming back

I know my being here makes people like you and Pogo weep in the corner with rage so I decided to stay.

Seriously, who’s keeping score? Does anyone ever win? Let it go.

If you can’t stand a person, put him on ignore.

You mean you’re not gonna do what you said you were going to do? I wish I could say I was surprised but it’s not like you have any character to speak of. You’ll just keep shitting up P&R with your strawman arguments forever.

Oh, like that ever works. I can ignore brett all I want - doesn’t stop him from derailing thread after thread.

Individual practices are not community solutions.

I noticed the forums getting angrier and more trolling happening over the last year or so, and subjectively feel it’s gotten worse since Tom ragequit.

I don’t understand why some of the people who got unbanned and their friends took their opportunity to come back and threadshit/bitch at Tom and thereby prove him retroactively correct in his decisions.

Except that people like Brett derail entire threads and actually ruin what was previously an interesting discussion. It’s annoying to those of us who just read the threads and don’t post in them, same as it’s annoying to the people he actively trolls. He can spout the hivemind nonsense all he likes, but there are several conservative voices in P&R who do not take a giant steaming shit in the heart of 90% of the threads they post in, and ignoring one person doesn’t fix that last part.

And don’t you dare say something like “Well if everyone ignored him…” because you know damn well that’s never going to happen on any forum ever.

It doesn’t matter what the conversation is in P&R these days I can be involved in a perfectly rational discussion and someone like Pogo or mrmolecule will come in and do their best to ruin it.

edit: never mind.

(not deleting 'cause of the phantom page thing)

You mean bad moderating might actually make people upset? Who would have guessed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1lSxXI4LSY#t=2m45s

Brett made a perfectly unoffensive post in this thread and got attacked for it. That’s the kind of thing I’m talking about.

Well, to be fair, we are all trolls.

If Brett’s the best example you could come up with, you’ve already lost the argument.

No I didn’t. Even if Brett was a jerk in another thread, there’s no reason to bring that here. Kalle didn’t win a point on some scoreboard with his spiteful remark. The only result is derailing the thread with a dramatic and really bitter in-fight where the rest of us don’t know the context and couldn’t give two shits about in the first place. In other words, you’re all shitting over the thread and don’t even realize it. You’re the problem.

Brett is reaping what he’s sown, read MattKeil’s post again. It’s like an immune system response to a harmful organism. It has nothing to do with Brett’s politics and everything to do with his behavior.

@Raife, at least you’re consistent with your view point. ;)

I don’t think there’s any misunderstanding. I think his [Raife’s] message was quite clear: Some people deserve to be trolled. And if you don’t like being trolled then quit deserving it.

And they had a perfect opportunity to come back, post normally and constructively and show Tom etc that he was wrong. Instead, a few of them have been total dicks.

Ho-lee shit. Brett’s body of work is not admissible in the thread in which we navel-gaze?

Okay. Whatever, stusser. You missed the part where I indicated that 99% of the time I do ignore him, and yet somehow the threads I read where he pops up still get derailed.

Whatever, it’s done. I’m not exactly sure why you guys feel that the best course of solution is tell everyone to suck it up, instead of banning a guy who’s been banned plenty of other places. It’s not my forum; I understand that. But if we’re talking about quality of the forum, I am going to throw my two cents in, even if it is “shitting all over the thread.”

I’ll go back to ignoring him, then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1lSxXI4LSY#t=2m45s

I don’t think there’s any misunderstanding. I think his [Raife’s] message was quite clear: Some people deserve to be trolled. And if you don’t like being trolled then quit deserving it.

Heh! That’s pretty accurate, but I do think there are limits and some bannings are appropriate, although initial warnings are preferable. FWIW, Brad, I hope you keep posting and Stardock bounces back from the Elemental fiasco and keeps making games. Your mea culpa couldn’t have been easy. I just think that you (or anyone) should realize that every post you make is not made in a vacuum, and when the static builds up enough, there’s going to be an electrical discharge. That blowback isn’t something a moderator should shield anyone from. Random attacks from one drooling jackhole with a chip on their monitor are something else entirely.