Too Many Bones: An Attempt

If it’s any consolation, you could easily allocate another $480+ of gaming budget to continuing to expand Too Many Bones rather than buying new games. Efficiency!

that’s what Planet Apocalypse is for. As long as I can lift my backlog with my bare hands, there is room for more games…

Next run will be Tantrum again, and this time I’m mixing in 40 DAYS IN DAELORE. Just adds more encounters and baddies.

Great idea, you’ve done well at those previously!

ZOMG. I’m on Day 4 of the first Adventure of my new Campaign, having mixed in 40 Days In Daelore. And look at this Encounter:

Place your Gearloc Chip with full HP on any Gearloc Ranged Position. Stack as many dice (type of dice does not matter) as you’d like on top of your chip (dice may be in up to four separate stacks atop chip). You must move (slide) your chip with dice on top to any Baddie Ranged Position without any dice falling off. Single attempt only. You may not add or remove any dice after movement begins. If successful, take 1 Buff HP for every 8 dice you successfully stacked and moved. If unsuccessful, take 1 True Dmg.

@tomchick!!! @tomchick!!! you have the biggest platform of anyone here. We need you to lobby to have this card removed from all future editions of 40 Days in Daelore. Until then, I’m going ahead and going full Lufkin on this shit. This card gets ONE STAR, and to be honest it calls into question every ounce of trust I had in Chip Theory Games’ design chops. I am only slightly exaggerating. I will say that this card has DEFINITELY sealed the deal on whether I’m pre-ordering Burncycle. Hell no. I’ll wait to make sure they don’t pull any of this Jenga-ass shit.

For the record, I got 3 Buff HP out of the deal. I was tempted to go HAM and just pile more and more dice up there and break the game with all my Buff HP, but I would have felt real dumb if it backfired.

Oh, that’s not the full Lufkin.

Just kick it out of your game and draw a new card. That’s what I did. Unfortunately, there’s some stuff like that in one of the Apocrypha campaigns. There are a few similarly dumb cards in Dead of Winter. I hate that kind of stuff, and I hate that developers probably think they’re pretty darn clever for doing it. Ugh.

-Tom

I scrapped that playthrough and set up a new one. It was going really well, too, (honest!) but I realized I’d put a Baddie on the map that shouldn’t have even been in the game in a previous fight. Once I realize I played a game wrong, it’s very hard for me to decide to keep going in that playthrough, unless it’s a mistake that’s very easy to undo in such a way that it has absolutely NO ramifications on the outcome. I wish I could be one of those guys who’s like “Eh, oh well, let’s keep going,” but I’m not. If I played the game wrong on a previous turn, that means I’m not playing the game now. I’m playing some kind of messed-up trainwreck that’s been sabotaged by getting the rules wrong, and I have no interest in that. Since I’ve determined that I’m not playing the game, I can either continue not playing the game (by packing it up and putting it away), or begin to play the game (by starting over). Too Many Bones is so good that I’m starting over.

lern 2 rulez n00b

-Tom

Uhhh, speaking of rules, did you guys know that Tantrum’s Rage dice have to be “trained” by spending Training Points before you can upgrade his rage in combat?

There’s a lot about the Rage and Tantrum that I think is poorly explained in the rules.

Edit: Although once you get it, it sort of retrospectively makes sense in the rules. But initially, it’s a little weird.

Yeah, like any skill die that’s not explicitly granted to start with (and to be fair, Tantrum gets more than usual to start), they have to be purchased with training points. I confess I’ve found Tantrum’s Rage mechanic pretty fiddly and hard to get much out of.

I thought this was a joke, until I went to the chip theory games store… I bought 1 TMB (preorder March 2021) for my collection and some deluxe health chips from cloudspire (since the TMB deluxe chips are outofstock). Customs friendly + 20€ shipping for EU convinced me.

How replayable is Triplock and is it any good?
I remember now it was mentioned here

not sure if I need it

You do not. It’s a cool idea with an awkward and amateurish execution. Chip Theory still had a lot to learn when they made Triplock.

-Tom

It not a “must have”. I like it for what it is, a little brainburner that you should only play when you’re fully awake. It easy to set up and quick to play but nothing that will change your world.

How much does TMB weigh?

Fedex emailed me to tell me something is on its way from Belgium, weighs 2 kg, arrives day after tomorrow.

But CTG website doesn’t even have a record of my order!

Base game (and almost everything else) in stock at Chip Theory.

ordered a couple of weeks ago. Base game + map + chips. It said it will ship in March. They take it literally, status is paid. I expect them to ship on March 31 …

I received my 70 pounds of Chip Theory gaming on Wednesday. Forgot I’d ordered it until I got a shipping notice on Monday.

I also ordered, a while ago now actually, via Paypal, so I have the receipt, but have yet to get any update.