Too many games are feeling like "work" after playing a while

That all depends a lot on the game involved.
If it is a survival game at the core, then hunger & thirst mechanics just make sense, it’s all about resource management and planning ahead anyway, and finding food and drink in these is not usually trivial. I found one of the best games in this regard (while certainly not easiy accessible) is UnReal World, I could barely be plied away from that game two years ago during Christmas holidays…
Obviously, you have to like survival games and (very important) be in the mood for one right now.

But if some rudimentary “you need to eat/drink every X hours” is added to a game that otherwise has little to no resource management, it’s just a weird oddity that really has no place there. Sounds a lot like that would’ve been the case for Far Cry.

I think one of the silliest examples of this was the survival mode in Fallout: New Vegas: added some other welcome changes, but it also made you go thirsty - while at the same time giving you a canteen that never seems to empty. So effectively, you only get a “you drink a bit” message every now and then.