Toothache!

Oh, I just now saw this thread. Check in when you can, divorced!

I love the suggestion to find a female dentist. Wish I’d thought of that. Here’s my mental image:

-Tom

EDIT: Hey, he checked in at the precise same time I posted! Freaky! I’ll chalk it up to the alluring power of a Jennifer Aniston gif.

Really? Not Hope Davis?

Ah, way better! Can I change my answer?

-Tom

Can I change my answer?

-Tom

Divorced, you have put me in the delectable position of wanting to laugh my ass off at your escapades, yet, knowing it was very serious and something that really happened to someone we care about here, I was almost as mortified as you were! Nobody got hurt or arrested, which is good. I am glad you have survived this round and have a feeling there is a happy ending for you somewhere down the road.

I think with the teeth out, you should be getting some relief from the pain. Not sure what they are going to do next (implants? bridges?)

Also, I am glad you had good judgement and wanted to wear pants and socks when you took off for your walk … and I am sure your wife, the police, and everyone else is too.

Man, that was an extreme extraction. Kind of like The Hangover meets a dentist’s appointment, in which divorced plays all three characters, and Mike Tyson, and the tiger, and naked Ken Jeong.

-Tom

Very true. I wish we had a video feed.

Divorced, think about it, can we wire you up the next time you start huffing nitrous oxide?

Glad to hear you’re okay now.

I can’t believe that it was all nitrous. That stuff wears off in minutes. What else did he give you? Was it possible scopolamine? And that it reacted with the tranks?

Man, that is absolutely terrifying. I’m glad it turned out ok.
I just keep imagining the nightmare scenario of divorced’s Malicious Wife seizing the opportunity to get rid of him once and for all.
“Wait you can’t walk 25 miles! Here’s the car keys. And a six pack of beer in case you get thirsty. Better hurry off now and take the freeway, you’re late!”

nitrous oxcide…sounds about right…next time take the needle.

One thing I didn’t expect is I have this “covering” all over my gums now. It totally looks like butt and I have no idea of whether I can brush it off or if it is used in the healing process and the dentist will take it off.

One call to the dentist at 9 coming up…

I think you need to leave that on, but, the call to the dentist will reveal all. They will have stitched up the extraction sites and, depending on what is happening next there can be a covering which they don’t want you to disturb for 7 - 10 days. They should have told you about it, but, maybe the fact that you were not firmly rooted to the planet prevented that.

Holy crap divroced, that story was insane. I am glad you are OK and that no harm came to you, your wife (who now deserves an extra special belated Valentine’s Day gift!) or anyone else. Wow!

I apparently have a cracked tooth (the dentist showed it to me with a little camera). It looks like a hairline fracture right down the center of the tooth (a molar) from left to right. It only bothers me in that it’s ultra-sensative to cold beverages and hard crunchy food (like Doritos). It was bugging me for a month or so prior to my annual checkup in January, and has continued to bother me since. The dentist said it would eventually heal itself as it filled in from the inside out. I’d never heard of cracked teeth fixing themselves.

Anyone ever have a cracked tooth that healed itself? I’m curious because this same tooth already has a composite filling (which of course is on the other side away from the crack), and I’m wondering if the crack doesn’t get better if I should just consider having the whole damn tooth yanked out and replaced with one of these awesome replacement teeth featured in this thread.

Yet another update. Pain level is still really high, but now the dentist doesn’t want to dispense any more pain meds thinking they were the result of my “episode”. I tried telling him I have taken pain meds many many times and never had that experience, it was the combination of pain meds and the other sedation chemistry involved. He wasn’t listening. Said I should take Tylenol which my body has never responded to.

So now I’m stuck with 2 less teeth, more pain than I know what to do with and a jerk dentist.

Good times…

Be very careful with Tylenol. Acetaminophen is very toxicto your liver. And an overdose doesn’t show up right away. It may be a day or two before your liver just shuts down.

I think you need a new dentist. Ask your friends and find someone they really like.

Slainte - no, I have never heard of cracks healing themselves, suggest you either get clarification or a second opinion. I have had cracks in several teeth (molars in the back) and my understanding is one they are cracked they don’t magically cure themselves. I think what might happen is that enamel, etc. along a crack could chip off, leaving less of a crack.

I really think there are other options for you aside from yanking the tooth and getting an implant. For me, my dentist did gold crowns (gold is a little stronger, though, these days, more expensive) to help support the teeth that were cracked. From there, years later, more of the roots went dead in the affected teeth, which necessitated root canals followed by repairing the crowns (they drill through them to do the root canal). That also held up for years longer, but at the end of the day, about 7-10 years + later, the cracked teeth worsened. One actually broke off, and below the gum line, making for a nasty day and extraction (followed by a bridge since the bone graft for the implant never healed). The second one the crack worsened, and even though the root canal was still good, a pocket developed in the crack where it ate some bone away (and got infected, and the tooth was also loose). So out it went week before last, and it’s healing up nicely so likely the implant will work in about 3-4 months time.

Maybe you can save your tooth with a crown, for a while, worth asking the question. Also important that they eliminate your pain, even a little bit isn’t something you want to live with over a long period of time, so if it comes to that, maybe yanking it is the answer.

I’ll admit those thoughts are coming into my head. I have an appointment Wednesday when this crap comes off my gums. I cannot tell you how glad that will make me. I feel like I look like a James Bond villain with this stuff on.

My gums are still ultra sensitive, so if scraping this stuff off hurts like hell and he is unwilling to help me medically, that will be my last visit to him.

Thanks Nixxter. Over the weekend my cracked tooth must have worsened, as the pain is pretty constant now and becoming impossible to ignore. I’m going to see about getting an emergency appointment when the dentist office opens back up tomorrow (stupid holiday!). In the meantime I’m taking Aleve (which isn’t helping much) and trying to avoid temperature changes. Given the amount of pain that came on this weekend I’m wondering if the pulp/root may be damaged or even infected at this point. I’m going to give my dentist some grief for his suggestion that I let it go a month ago when I was in for my cleaning.

I suspect a crown will need to be applied. Thankfully I upped my dental insurance coverage this year in anticipation of my son probably needing braces, so a crown won’t set me back as much as it would have 3 months ago. Silver lining I suppose.

Side observation : toothaches make you an angry person.

Meanwhile, do yourself a favor and OD yourself slightly on ibuprofen. Personally I have done a lot of worse drugs in my life and I know that taking about 5 or 6 ibuprofen isn’t going to do anything to me, so likely you will be ok too.

My friend plus my hi tech dentist have both told me that studies have shown that ibuprofen is almost as good as (if not better than) something like Tylenol 3 with codeine for relieving dental pain, so I hope that will help you survive the next day until you get in.

What they are going to do will give you immediate relief (either your dentist or possibly the person who does a root canal if that is where it ends up), which is a pulpotomy. Basically scoops down low enough to kill the nerve part of the root or roots that are affected (I think you typically have about three roots headed down out of the tooth).