Top 10 games on a given console: PlayStation 1 Edition

Not many of my favourite games of the era, as I am saving them for the console I played them on, the Sega Saturn (we will get a Sega Saturn one, right?!), but the few I have great memories of where really special. It was a great time, where finally liberated from the school’s mandatory friendships, I could become friends with nerds that shared my interests, most of whom were game writers. I sometimes think my internal clock got stuck at that period in time.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night/Akumajo Dracula X: Gekkano Yasokyoku is clearly up there, like Final Fantasy Tactics with its incredible storyline, and actual comments on history, or Suikoden 2 for its epic feel.

I really liked Atelier Elie, the PSX only sequel to Atelier Marie. It has got a bit of that generous spirit you can find in those special games, like Stardew Valley. It is also one of those few games where everything is cute and nothing stands out as creepy or inappropriate - something that will soon be lost in most of the rest of the series.

Super Robot Taisen Alpha Gaiden is just a crazy evolution of the heavily licensed animufan dream come true tactical RPG series, with some of the best 2D arts and sprite manipulations ever done.

Zanac X Zanac is my vertical shoot’em up of choice on the Sony console, and one of the last Compile shooters (maybe the last, actually?), sadly.

Konami’s ISS soccer game was absolutely amazing in multiplayer. I hate that sport, but that sports game, which will evolve into PES later one, was just amazing fun.

Saraba Uchusenkan Yamato was the improbable and very successful transcription of the epic anime movie into a game, covering 3 CDs of 3D strategic battles and fully voiced cut scenes and alternative stories and…

There was finally a game I can’t recall the name of: it was a sort of 3D Herzog Zwei, a RTS version of Advance Wars if you wish, with multiplayer split screen, where you could take command of the individual units, a bit like… that other game I can’t recall, actually, where you were summoning creatures with a wizard, in the manner of Archon.
Dang, why can’t I recall the name of neither of those games :(
Edit :[quote=“geggis, post:21, topic:129503”]
The Unholy War
[/quote]
I think that maybe actually the second game! Now, what was the first one…

Totally with you there, and I’m even an integrist on the matter: the Mega-CD versions were pure poetry compared to their 32-bits updates. Damn the failing (in all acceptions of the meaning) hardware they were released on!