Top 10 Most "Rage Quit" games

Games like Spelunky, Super Meat Boy, Geometry Dash, et al, don’t bother me since they’re basically built around dying all the time and there are no loading screens or anything to deal with. They’re also so technique oriented that I always feel like it’s completely my fault when I die.

When I look back on the games I’ve played I feel that racing games in particular have given me far more rage-quit moments than any other. It’s the fact that you can play flawlessly for 99% of the race, and then make one mistake on the last corner and lose. And of course for the vast majority of racing games out there, you’ve got catch-up physics to deal with as well, which means that you can ram some asshole into a pole and be 20 seconds up on them, only to have them right back on your tail 40 seconds later even though you’ve driven perfectly, simply because the game gave them the ability to corner at 200 miles an hour in order to keep the race competitive.

That kind of cheapness is what makes me rage-quit more than anything.

1. Darklands. Originally one could not save during the long dungeon runs. Long = hours. A year or so later I bought the patch with the hint manual, and after that it became one of my favorite all-time games.

2. System Shock 2. I apparently picked the wrong skills. At what I assume was the final part of the game (when it became all organic on me), I had no ammo and no usable options.

3. LOTRO: Big (now epic) Battles. I left for 1.5 years after they shut the epic quest progression behind an entirely new game. Eventually I came back and figured out the minimum to progress, but I still see them as obstacles, and not in a good way.

[Edit] - I’ve quit a lot of games because of difficulty or I just didn’t like them. These I remember in particular because I liked them. Until they suddenly pissed me off.

Oh wait a minute, I thought of one, though I guess it was more of a disgust-quit than anything else. I got almost all the way through God of War 2 on the PS2, then I hit a hard crash or something that ate my save. I did not want to go through the game again so I put it aside and never went back to it.

MGSV.

Play a stealth game. Okay, now fight super human monsters without cover in melee.
Uninstalled immediately, haven’t looked back.

XCOM:WoTC, about half an hour ago, when the game bugged out and failed a rescue mission that was quite tense, that I had actually successfully accomplished.

Reloaded, disabled the evacuate all mod, game worked fine.

Then ironically, the very next mission saw the rescued soldier die…because I hadn’t realised the move I was going to make would break glass and notify the enemy, so everything was out of position. That almost made me quit, but I finished the mission, then saved and exited.

XCOM in general has induced many “wtf?” moments in my gaming career, some of them bad (like missing a 91% chance to hit, today) and hitting a 27% chance shot (also today).

Related - not really rage quit, but certainly rage inducing, is when someone else rage quits your game because you’re kicking their arse.

I had it happen to me in several multiplayer Age of Wonders 3 games. One example I remember well is locating an opponent’s throne, and sending towards it, from the east, while my leader stack and an extra stack were to the north. I had a Hunter with concealment (I was a Druid) so I could see what he was doing.

He had 2 decent stacks in his city, and marched one of them out to destroy what he assumed was an overextended scout force. Battle starts, I make the appropiate sounds of being caught out of position etc, then once that fight is finished, I march my 2 stacks down to his throne, and start my own fight.

He.was.not.happy.

And rage quit.

It was a 4 player free for all so one player disconnecting meant the game was effectively over, because otherwise I’d have a throne for free (fighting independents) and it made no sense getting s substitute player just to try and inflict damage on me in one fight.

Waste of 2 hrs.

This happened to me enough times for my rage quits to escalate to a rage uninstall.

XCOM 2 is especially prone to ragequitting because it’s so unforgiving. One bad move → one soldier dead → one mission failed → game over. It’s like Minesweeper. Click on the wrong square and boom, you’re done.

Most Platformers

Games with Ironman modes: Nothing encourages me to rage quit more than the knowledge that you just lost 10+ hours in a great character/campaign because of a careless mistake. I still do it though, not sure why.

I can’t think of ten but a few came to mind:

TumbleSeed: I was really enjoying this for the first few hours then it started to dawn on me that the movement system combined with the suicidally finicky abilities and deadly enemies made this a truly miserable roguelite experience. I couldn’t even finish the ‘tutorial mounds’ before the mountain itself and found myself thoroughly pissed off after each successive failure. Losing was never fun and there was no such thing as Quit, only Rage Quit.

Samorost 2: Amanita’s games (Machinarium, Samorost 3, Botanicula) are so beautiful and relaxing in their own way but rewind back to Samorost and Samorost 2 and you’ve got lots of aimless clicking, pixel hunting, bizarro puzzles and cumbersome animations and transitions to slog through if you do things wrong. I never finished the second game so recently, on the run up to Samorost 3, my girlfriend and I decided to brush up on the first two games.

Towards the end of Samorost 2 it has this succession of awkward puzzles that you have to solve and if you misunderstand or misclick once then you have to do the boatload of BS again. After several attempts I rage quit out and uninstalled the game declaring “Fuck it, I have more respect for my time”. We watched a YouTube video and it turned out it was literally the last puzzle before the ending.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown: because of all this. It’s an old article so I’ve mellowed on some of these points, but what goodwill I had for it was eroded over many hours before I just stopped playing and haven’t been back since. All the talk of XCOM 2 has made me want to return to it but I fear tripping up over the same things again.

Wait a sec. I’ve heard great things about Darklands, but… you had to buy the patch?

Early 90’s. That’s how it rolled. I had given up on it, wasn’t even thinking of it any more, but saw the hint book at EB and it included the patch on a 3.5" disk.

ARK - Die repeatedly, this is fun.

MGSV - Stealth game that I can’t stealth through. This is fun.

Black Desert Online - Watch the patch notes evolve, can see where this is going, got the fuck out.

WoW - Was more ‘fatigue’ quit, the only rage I had was when they started taking all my skills/talents away.

Shadow of Mordor - I guess I’m too old to button mash orcs.

3D Mario games - Can’t do 'em, I can’t see the distances, I guess.

(big one) The Witcher 3 - 55 hours? I think, I’d have to check. Save folder corrupt. All of it. I can’t find it in me to start over.

LOTRO - they did their server merges, my characters were gone (all of them were in Rohan by then)…after a few weeks of back and forth tickets/emails “There isn’t anything we can do for you”

Elite: Dangerous - Make sure you really mean it if you decide to try to travel to Sag-A.

I’ve had a game or two have saves go after tens of hours. The most notable was Final Fantasy 4, right after the final fight with the four fiends.

Within an hour of the end and I never did finish it

I lost my save for Neverwinter Nights 2. I was in the phase where I was building up my base for the final fight. Once I lost the save, I thought I’d seen the best parts of the game anyway, and considered it finished. I didn’t need to see the fight against the bad guy at the end for it really feel finished. Endings sometimes feel superfluous that way. Especially when there’s a big buildup. What can they do? You beat the bad guy? You die in the process? There’s really not much left in a big RPG when all you have left is a fight to save the world.

In TW3 I still had most of the high points of the main story left and 2 expansions to do. So there was quite a bit to cover, yeah.

G-Police for the original Playstation: there was this one mission I just could not finish. Extremely difficult.

Also for the PSOne, One, which was a 3rd person futuristic shooter with a very cool Blade Runner look to it and one of the best openings in a game. I think it was the 4th stage (out of 6, I believe) where I rage quit. Up until then it was a tough but fair game but then you end up in this poorly designed canyon level with LOTS of platform jumping and no shadow or way to gauge where you’d land, and one fall and you died. Probably the only time I really did throw my controller in disgust.

Icewind Dale II also had this one fight which threw way too many higher level enemies at you and I think I beat it eventually, but only after many tries and blood pressure spikes. That game’s difficulty was all over the place.

Mancopter.

Many a joystick hurled

I have never truly “rage quit” a game. I have put a few aside and come back after a few days and then finished them. Dark Souls 1 was like that. I must have lost to the law firm 30-40 times. I refused to summon other players and to be honest, I just wasn’t very good. But I ended up finishing the game.

I have seen two video gamers rage quit while streaming Dark Souls 2 though. And both of them at the same boss.

Huh, Dark Souls is apparently not the game I thought it was.

I think the law firm of Dewy, Cheatum and Howe were bastards in that game.

I was worried about those two (Ornstein and Smough) from all that I read about them, but I took them down on my first run, after a four hour marathon one Sunday where I was in a total gaming fever, just clicking with the game. Probably in my top 5 games (I’ve completed) of all time.