Top 3 Liberal Issues

In response to:

Let’s have some lists of top 3 and then compare.

To add from the other thread:

My list is:

1)Income inequality.
2)Universal health care.
3)Protecting voting rights / preventing election interference / and reforming undemocratic laws and institutions.

Wait, I thought our only agenda was making @ArmandoPenblade the God Emperor, or are we keeping that on the DL?

Here’s what I think are the top 3 issues that will win elections:

1. Medicare for All: Sanders rode this to nearly beating Hillary in the primary, despite having the party sabotage him
  2. Citizens United: When framed as bribes people are against it. It killed Hillary when they said she was taking bribes from Wall St
  3. Lower taxes: Lower taxes on the middle and lower class, dramatically raise them on the wealthy. Don’t be shy about it, preach it. Tie it to the first two, you can’t have healthcare because of the Kochs and the Waltons.

I think the most important issue is climate change, but voters don’t give a shit about it clearly.

So, just to be clear, it’s not that every single liberal on the planet can get their top 3 - it’s getting this entire board of liberals to agree on one list.

Also - this means that things not on the list, are left unaddressed, and unfunded until next year.

Correct, that’s (in theory) the point of this exercise. However I suspect the thread will do what threads do on QT3.

Sure, but this forum isn’t morstly made up of relatively white, cis, male, affluent, Liberals, so it’s likely going to be very economic focused issues.

I suppose people that suffer prejudices due to race, beliefs or sexuality will probably want something along the lines of great equality for people.

Could you do a similar top three for conservatives? I would like to see what conversaties want to retain or go back to?

The goalposts have moved already!

No, not really, at least not with respect to ‘unfunded’. No one takes away the money in your budget to pay the electricity bill for the data centre when you choose as your priority ‘replace the old servers.’

It’s like the laws of robotics. There is an unstated zeroth law.

1. Lower healthcare costs.
  2. Trade schools, re-training programs, and adult education. With a focus on the upcoming wave of displaced workers due to technological advancement and obsolescence.
  3. Immigration reform.

…and how many issues are at least partially addressed by prioritizing others?

For instance, how beneficial of a corollary effect do you create in criminal justice reform, equality, and rights of persons of non-white races, non-christian religions when you do something like protect and expand voting rights?

I really don’t think this is how politics works. People have different priorities. An executive or a legislature needs to agree on priorities, but among the population it’s natural that some issues are more urgent to some people than others.

This entire sentence is false.

Voters care even less about Citizens United. What’s ironic about your comment is that Citizens United was about an anti-Hillary propaganda film.

I think the most important issues that exist are 1) climate change and 2) nuclear non-proliferation, but I refuse to tag either as ‘liberal.’

So,

1. Universal health care
  2. Gun control
  3. Reduction of military budget

It might be helpful to take off the agenda anything which requires an Amendment to the Constitution. No liberal government elected anytime soon will be able to do one damned thing about Citizen’s United or the Second Amendment, etc.

I agree with @Gordon_Cameron that climate change is not a liberal issue. Therefore:

1.Voting Rights
2. Income equality (i.e. tax policy. Good luck with that.)
3.Universal Health Care

My personal list is a little different with the first 2 replaced.
Environmental issues writ large (beyond climate change, i.e. biodiversity)
UBI (not in my life time most likely)

I also think 3 things are 2 too many. Just focus on 1 thing, and make it medicare for all. Trump won because he was racist and kept talking about immigration. Everything he did was through the lens of white people fighting back against non-white invaders. That’s what all his tariff shit is about too, and why his cult is ok with it despite their businesses taking a beating.

Dems should find case after case of people suffering and dying due to the greed of our healthcare system, while simultaneously trotting out happy seniors getting their prescriptions from Medicare. Find a nice old lady who had open heart surgery at 91 years old and survived and Medicare paid for the whole thing. My grandmother is a living example of that! Then play a clip of Paul Ryan saying he wants to cut Medicare. Then bring out a family of four where the dad got cancer and will die because he can’t afford to stop working and his deductible is outrageous.

We won’t agree on a top three. But that’s not a lack of unity. I bet everyone’s top three will be in everyone else’s top ten. My three:

1. Healthcare Cost and Access (Medicare for all, if we can find a way to get there)
  2. Climate Change (carbon taxes, subsidies on renewables)
  3. Income Inequality (a more progressive tax system and cheaper university education are my key points)

Voting rights, immigration reform and reducing the impact of money in politics are all crowded around the podium, too.