Top and Bottom Post - Apocalyptic Films

I think it’s a campy trashy mess that people only like now because they (…ahem…) reminisce about getting high and watching it back in the day. :) It’s like staying in a relationship for all the wrong reasons. But that is my opinion purely, and I recognize that is absolutely debatable.

Having said that, it is not on my worst list. I am specifically saying that Deathsport is a really, really bad movie.

I also agree 100% with you on Frogtown. Roddy Piper = Awesomeness.

Hahaha, I didn’t even process that when I read it. I just saw “Top and Bottom Post” and then - Apocalyptic films. D’oh…

Disregard everything.

My intention was post apocalyptic, although I won’t say we cant talk about the others. I envisioned, for the most part, that all or at least part of the movie takes place after the the fall of civilization, or tech or something alone that lines.Some of the disaster movies might fit in here too.

Seriously though if you want to talk about those movies here and not a whole separate topic for that, I wouldn’t chase you away.

Whatever makes it your bottom. It could be acting, special affects, or just some B movie that didn’t work for you. I thought it might be interesting to see the views of both the tops and bottoms. My sister and her guy, for example, are all about USA/SyFy originals so most of those would not be at the bottom for them but a lot would be for me.

Looking at this list, I realize there are a lot of movies I just haven’t seen. My list could easily change if I actually got around to some of these.

Wouldn’t exist w/o the original Mad Max movies, but I enjoyed this one:

One reviewer correctly observed that this one should only be watched on VHS tape:

I’m restricting myself to post- rather than mid-apocalypse, so no eg Mad Max 1 or Night of the Living Dead.

Top 5:

Not a very original choice but I don’t care

More for the book than the film, but it’s a decent adaptation

Probably the most traumatic post-apocalypse movie ever. They showed it to us in school.

My favourite animated movie of all time

Love, love, love the understatedness of this movie.

Bottom 5 (but mostly good, because so bad):

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

This is deeply fucked up for a cheap throwaway sci-fi flick.

You really need me to explain why this is bad?

Shyamalan. Jayden Smith. What could go wrong? Oh yeah, that.

Come on, just read that synopsis.

Haha, so does the machine gun at least look cool?

If by cool you mean really stupid, sure.

I just assumed it was not the gun on the cover, like something big enough and stable enough to stop a fleet of cars type of gun. I see.

Little bit late to this particular rabbit hole, but Lord of the Rings would count as a post-apocalyptic film from a dwarf’s perspective, right?

Even if that was true it would be The Hobbit then not The Lord of the Rings.

My list could also be a top-5 zombie movie list:

Shaun of the Dead
Fury Road
Zombieland
Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later

So, I’m going to take all the zombie films out the list to make it a bit more interesting:

I’ll note I haven’t see The Road, though the book made a major impression on me.

Honorable mentions:

Logan’s Run
A Quiet Place
10 Cloverfield Lane
The new Apes movies
12 Monkeys

Worst? That’s tough, as I’ve seen a LOT of really, really bad post-apocalyptic sci-fi. I’ll stick with the big-budget ones.

Waterworld
Reign of Fire
After Earth
Battlefield Earth
The Postman

Apparently Tank Girl is so bad that QT3 cleansed it from the collective memory.

Nah, Tank Girl was just ok. Wouldn’t come near my top or bottom five.

Forgive me, but I just have to ask: Does the movie show how he loads that thing?

Breastfeeding

Luke Blue Milk Gif.

Depends on what counts as apocalypse. Thousands of years before LOTR takes place it could be argued there definitely was one: War of Wrath. An entire “continent” is destroyed and sunk beneath the waves. The known world is essentially in ruins with fiery crags everywhere. Although given the vast time differences between then and LOTR, Like…Two Ages…it doesn’t really fit as post-apocalyptic per se, but there are still many ruined structures of civilization lost about. In Eregion specially because it was totaled during the the 2nd Age, and the lost northern kingdoms are an embarrassment of ruins, and Osgiliath the former capital of Gondor is a dead city of rubble and masonry marred, etc, etc

I feel like I’ve read more interesting post apocalyptic fiction than seen good movies, this almost needs a companion thread in books. Stuff like On the Beach (I know there’s a movie but the book is better), Sterling Lanier’s Hiero books, Jack Vance’s Dying Earth stories, A Canticle for Leibowitz, that sort of thing.

Ask, and QT3 shall give you:

The movie is pretty good and thanks to it I’ve never been able to hear “Waltzing Matlida” the same way again.