Top and Bottom Post - Apocalyptic Films

I thoroughly enjoyed Lucifer’s Hammer, but I’ve got to agree with this – it is very much a product of the 1980s. I don’t think it would resonate too much today.

What is your (and everyone else’s) opinion re: Canticle for Leibowitz? Series-worthy?

I mean sure, I’d watch it. I’d say I think it’s aged pretty well though to be honest it’s been some time since I read it.

But the framework is great. Big comet coming, various characters preparing (or not!) for disaster in different ways, splash, then we follow the characters to sanctuary. Or is it really sanctuary?

If they can make a great BSG series from that awful original, they can make something good from Hammer. C’mon, I’ll write the script for the first episode, you line up Netflix or Amazon. Let’s do it.

You know, I wasn’t really much of a fan. The concept was interesting, but I thought the writing was pretty staid.

But as scottagibson notes above, a great concept can be re-used by more talented writers, so I’d give a Leibowitz series a watch.

Oh, hey, that reminds me - I recently read the trilogy of The Last Policeman novels while I was on vacation, but then I guess technically that’s pre-apocalypse. Though I must add, I do respect movies like Seeking a Friend for the End of the World or books like On the Beach that don’t step back from their apocalyptic premise.

You know, it gets dinged for wooden writing, but I always really liked Alas, Babylon.

Canticle was three distinct, but related, parts with three different sets of characters, so a series would require three different casts, which I suppose could get expensive. I’d love to see someone try to adapt my favorite post-apocalyptic novel, Riddley Walker, but that would be quite a challenge.

“There aint that many sir prizes in life if you take noatis of every thing. Every time wil have its happenings out and every place the same. What ever eats mus shit.”

Awe yeah, this could be good. Especially if you liked the movie.

Neat. I enjoyed Waterworld a lot. A big factor at the time was that I was a horny teenage boy and the movie starred the actress I thought of as “the hot one from Basic Instinct”, since I found Jeanne Tripplehorn on a different magnitude sexy compared to Sharon Stone in that movie. And she’s half naked throughout Waterworld.

You know, I’ve never known anyone who looked at the world quite like you do. And I mean that with the utmost regard.

70’s.

I watched Waterworld on acid when it came out. I remember I felt the poor dude on the little boat inside the belly of the oil tanker could have had a story all his own. In my mind I was totally right there with him!