Top Five Movie Soundtracks

That one is indeed fucking great.

Best part of the movie. ENJ AND ELO?! Fantastic.

Sleepless in Seattle has a great soundtrack, including a version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow sang by Ray Charles that is the best I’ve ever heard - song and singer, really. And it isn’t in the actual soundtrack album, which is some kind of sin.

Playing by your rules:

1. Singles
  2. Transformers: The Movie
  3. Titan AE
  4. Heavy Metal
  5. Um… I got nothing else off the top of my head, though some folks upthread mentioned some great ones.

NOT Playing by your rules:

1. Amelie (Yann Tiersen)
  2. Harold and Maude (Cat Stevens)
  3. Head (The Monkees)

Nobody else will mention it because they are scared of being picked on so I’m here to do it. And because why waste saying the great ones you guys have I’m adding unmentioned ones (I think.)

Top Gun

But also:
The Big Chill
Footloose (yes, I went to the 80s again.)
Forrest Gump
Reservoir Dogs
American Graffiti

Wow, I can’t believe I didn’t think of that one.

This is a great combo. Valley Girl for the power pop and New Wave tracks, Repo Man for the LA punk that Valley Girl’s Randy probably should have been listening to instead of the Plimsouls, not that I can blame him.

Weirdly, wikipedia says “[Valley Girl’s] end credits show songs by the Clash, Culture Club, Bananarama, and The Jam, but those songs are not heard in the film.” I don’t see them listed, though.

I have a soft spot for the Risky Business soundtrack, but really only for the Tangerine Dream stuff and Jeff Beck’s “The Pump.” Seger and Journey I can live without.

Rock and Roll High School deserves a mention, so there it is.

The Cotton Club is not a good movie, though James Remar munching on random pieces of scenery is always good value, but the soundtrack is actually a very solid collection of '30s nightclub numbers.

No love for Trainspotting? One of the all-time 90s soundtracks.

I agree.

Speaking of Trainspotting, what’s with songs becoming hits based on soundtracks, but then you finally watch the movie and realize that the movie doesn’t have that song.

In Trainspotting’s case, that song was Born Slippy by Underworld. I was excited that an Underworld song was a hit! But then I watched the movie, and maybe I just missed it, but it didn’t seem to be in the movie.

Same thing with Oh What a Night (Late December 1963, what a very special time for me… what a lady what a night) in Forrest Gump. I heard that song all Summer, having the radio DJs tell me it was from the soundtrack of the movie. The movie finally got to the Dollar Theater, and I watched it, but that song isn’t in there. And those aren’t the only two examples, just two I remember prominently.

Oh, I just thought of what my #5 would be, so I’m appending my list above.

1. Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure

(And now I have “Dancing With a Gypsy” in my head.)

Transformes Dark of the Moon (if only because of Linkin Park-Iridiscent)
Forest Gump
Pulp Fiction
Moulin Rouge (assuming that doesn’t fall in the Broadway category). I was honestly pleasantly surprised by Ewan Mc Gregors singing (or the editing…)

I’ve only ever owned five such albums, so I guess I’ll rank them by # of times listened to:

1. FM
  2. Heavy Metal
  3. The Crow
  4. Salvation!
  5. X-Files: Fight the Future

Best Movie Soundtrack That Doesn’t Exist: Real Genius

Clockwork Orange
Z

Off topic - Ray Charles also does the definitive version of ‘America, The Beautiful’. And by ‘definitive’, I mean that I officially don’t recognize any other version of that song as existing.

It’s possible those songs are in cut scenes.

Listen through headphones.