Top Five

You know, a few weeks back, I bought this on Ebay, waited patiently for it to arrive, and did the whole popcorn, dim the lights, turn up the sound thing for my two middle daughters (11 and 12). They watched it in silence, then told me it was “not scary” and “boring.”

Sheesh. These kids today.

Can we include Fantasy in with Scifi?

The Princess Bride
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (70s)
Star Trek Neme… I mean Wrath of Khan
Willow
The Iron Giant

Man, that is hard.

1. 2001
  2. Minority Report
  3. Blade Runner
  4. Gattaca
  5. The Matrix

-John Carpenter’s The Thing
-The Matrix
-Star Wars
-Blade Runner
-Terminator 2

Not going to list in order

Blade Runner
Alien
Empire Strikes Back
Matrix

Can’t believe I forgot Buckaroo - definitely on my top 5

I’ve never seen Alien, i saw the second one with Danny Glover.

You mean Predator 2?

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn
Empire Strikes Back
Aliens
John Carpenter’s The Thing
Terminator 2

Nods to Fifth Element and Robocop.

Huh?

Oh. Wait. For a second there, I thought I was at GoneGold.

Blade Runner
The Empire Strikes Back
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Forbidden Planet

1. Aliens
  2. Empire/Khan (same thing) :wink:
  3. Twelve Monkeys
  4. The Black Hole (sue me, impressionable youth)
  5. Gattaca

What’s with Gattaca? Other than the love in blume angle sense that’s when “bad goatee” and what’s her name met and eventually got married, I just did not think it was that good. Oh well, to each his/her own.

Did I really leave out Dark City? I am adding that one as an alternate in case one of my top five cannot perform the duties which it’s title requires.

Blade Runner
Alien
Star Wars
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
A Clockwork Orange

I’ll readily agree that Aliens is a respectable compendium of one-liners, but Alien is a better film.

1. Empire Strikes Back
  2. Aliens
  3. The Matrix
  4. Blade Runner
  5. Predator

(I was torn between what I think are the best sci-fi films ever made and what I’d want to be stuck with on a desert island; I ended up optioning for repeated viewings.)

1. Star Wars
  2. Empire Strikes Back
  3. Aliens
  4. Terminator
  5. Matrix

A lot of the other movies people mentioned could vie for number 5 on my list. Tom I liked your choice of Sleeper but to me that is a comedy. Still a great movie. All of his old stuff is great.

– Xaroc

Whoa, you take issue with Sleeper, but not Krull the Conquerer? You’re an odd duck, Rob!

Personally, I’m not that much a fan of older Woody Allen these days. Some of it is great, but I have a fairly low threshold for neutrotic Jewish nattering in lieu of comedy.

Also, I guess I should point out that my list wasn’t authentic, so it should be omitted from any tabulation. I was just mad to click on the thread only to find that it was geekily limited to sci-fi.

What’s the deal here, don’t You People watch Real Movies, too?

-Tom
  1. The Godfather (part 1 of course)
  2. Star Wars
  3. Raiders of the Lost Ark
  4. Strange Brew (rating as given by the 11 year old version of me, who watched it more or less every day one summer and had the dialog memorized the whole way through
  5. Frantic

Ooh ooh ooh - I forgot Groundhog Day - that’s my new #5 until something else pops into my head.

I see a distinct lack of Meryl Streep movies, folks.

Where are the kinder gentler males that my wife thinks all her friends are married to?

Good movie, but the laser battles were rather lacking, I thought.