Top Gun: Maverick

Talk to me, Goose!

For those of us who need a refresher:

It has begun

I feel the need … the need… to explore the reasons behind the F-35’s cost overruns.

I could get behind a new Top Gun movie, as long as it’s as fun as the first one.

But with Tom Cruise? Assuming Maverick is in the current timeline, he would have either been ranked up enough to not fly anymore, or would have been “asked” to leave by around year 20.

It would make more sense if he was just a side person of rank in the movie, like the CAG threatening the young guys with, “flying cargo planes full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong.”

So I would change the title of that pic to:

"FEEL THE NEED

TO SIT AT A DESK"

But that can’t be true, can it?

One of the things that bothered me at the time the first movie came out was: what the heck war were they fighting in? There wasn’t a hot war going on in 80s versus the Russians or whoever Maverick was fighting. So clearly the movie is not set in our timeline in the 80s, so why would it be set in our timeline now in the 2010s?

I thought it was clear they were fighting a Russian proxy, aka fake Libya. Remember, the mid 80s had a number of clashes between the US and Libya, as well as two shoot-down incidents around the Line of Death.

But, yeah, no way Maverick would be flying fighters today. He’d either be an admiral somewhere, or nearing the FAA-mandated retirement age for airline pilots. Up or out.

It was pretty vague timeline as far as conflicts go, but the hardware placed it squarely in current time, even then. I guess with the exception of Kelly McGillis’s old Boxster and a jukebox in the O club having You’ve Lost That Loving Feeling on it during the height of the 80s.

Now I have to watch Top Gun again.

Wouldn’t he be the Tom Skerrit type character teaching at the Top Gun school for cocky young pilots?

I think if Tom ever decides to rename the forum then a really good option would be The Way Overthinking It Club.

Sounds very welcoming to new members.

Agreed! There should be a place on the web for the overthinkers among us.

We need a better initialism than T.W.O.T.I.C. though.

They really just need to have Cruise play the Kelly McGillis character, falling in love with a hotshot young male pilot after they meet at a bar one night.

This movie sounds stupid, but I’ve had an epiphany lately about Tom Cruise’s movies: I trust him to make something entertaining. Watch some behind the scenes stuff about him on set - the ones for Edge of Tomorrow are awesome - and it’s clear that he cares passionately about entertaining viewers, and working as hard as it takes to do it.

He’s a super weird dude. I wouldn’t want to hang out with the guy, but he generally makes good, entertaining movies. I even liked Knight and Day!

The only bad Tom Cruise movie I’ve seen in the last however many years is Jack Reacher 2. I hated that one.

Oh yea, and the most recent Mission Impossible. So bad I blocked it out.

Yeah, that’s true. I liked the first one, but boy the writing for the second was terrible. But other than that he’s had a very good/great run.

I haven’t seen the Jack Reacher movies. Or any Mission Impossible movies since the one with Philip Seymour Hoffman. Or that one where space bugs keep killing him. Man, I’ve got some catching up to do with my Tom Cruise entertainment, those auditing courses aren’t going to pay for themselves!

That is Edge of Tomorrow, and it’s one of my top 10 favorites. It’s super excellent.

Agreed - really liked that one. Emily Blunt doesn’t exactly hurt the cause either.