Top Gun: Maverick

Iceman battling cancer. :(

“Two of your snot nosed jokeys did a flyby on my tower at over 400 knots. I want some butts!”
coffee spills on him
“God damnit!!! That’s twice!”

I could quote a lot of the movie, then I joined the Navy and served on a ship. You’ll find it playing FAR too often on closed circuit TV. Now I feel like I can quote it almost line for line. I don’t know if that’s sad or not.

What’s the name of that truck driving school, Truckmaster I think it is? I might need that.

What?!?! I had no idea. :( Fuck cancer, below the hard deck does not count.

I hadn’t heard about Val Kilmer fighting cancer. Throat cancer, it seems. “Battling” may not be the right word for how he’s treating it, though. He’s a Christian Scientist, the religion that is opposed to medical institutions. I would guess he’s trying to “pray the cancer away”.

Eh, maybe. A lot of people who list their faith as Christian Scientist still go to doctors.

Per Wiki, seems like they sometimes use doctors but it’s generally preferred that they don’t. I’m sure that will go well for him.

The church does not require that Christian Scientists avoid all medical care—adherents use dentists, optometrists, obstetricians, physicians for broken bones, and vaccination when required by law—but maintains that Christian-Science prayer is most effective when not combined with medicine.

On an unrelated note, here’s a weird little blurb on Kilmer’s page that sure hasn’t aged well.

Influence and public image
Kevin Spacey told James Lipton on Inside the Actors Studio that one of the turning points of his life was at a high school drama festival when he saw Kilmer and Mare Winningham perform a scene from The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie and the drama teacher, Robert Carrelli, invited him to transfer to Chatsworth High School; he accepted. In the same interview, Spacey said he went to Juilliard because Kilmer did.

I picture this movie as the plane version of Space Cowboys, only with more volleyball.

This is my surprised face.

I guess this doesn’t have much to do with anything, but for years, decades even, I thought that song said “I went to the danger zone” and apparently it’s always been “highway to the danger zone” which makes no sense because it’s a movie about jets?

It’s kind of like Toto’s “Africa”, I was hearing it as “I miss the rains down in Africa” but it’s “I bless the rains down in Africa” which makes even less sense because who blesses rain? And don’t you have to be some kind of ordained priest to bless things? Does that mean the rain in Africa can destroy undead?

Listen, the music of Toto as a rich and deep mythology…

Yeah, but how many zombie outbreaks have happened in Africa? Huh, how many? ZERO! Toto knows what’s up.

Can’t argue with that logic, plus it’s catchier than “I cast magic missile into the darkness down in Africa.”

It’s not catchier than “the night begins to shine”, though.

Danger Zone doesn’t need a remake. They can just splice this in:

The beach volleyball scene just keeps getting worse.

Below the hard deck does not count.

How are they going to do this, with his voice so radically changed after his throat cancer? Will his voice return to normal? Will they work his new voice into the film, or dub someone else’s voice in, or will he have a silent role? Here he is a few months ago. I did not ever realize he was this hilarious (and of course I do NOT mean his voice - there but for the grace of God go I - he’s just genuinely funny).

Reminds me of Jack Klugman right after his throat surgery for what I believe was the same issue. Eventually he trained his remaining vocal cords to be loud enough to do theater. I suppose it could be possible.

You didn’t know Val Kilmer was funny? If you haven’t seen them, you should check out Top Secret and Real Genius.