Top Gun: Maverick

Real Genius might be my favorite comedy?

It’s about the most 80s thing that was ever made but yeah, it’s a great little movie. Criminal that they never released a soundtrack for it too.

Delayed from June 2019 to June 2020. Extensive flight scenes and VFX to blame.

“Show me the way home, honey!”

I’ve enjoyed Kilmer in a few films, but I’m generally not much of a fan. Haven’t seen either of the films you mentioned, so I’ll put them on my list. I guess it wouldn’t surprise me if he can be funny as an actor, but what I meant was that the impression I had of him as a person was that he’s pretty full of himself. But I’d never seen him interviewed before, and that video I posted up there totally took my opinion and turned it on its head. He was delightful in that.

Here’s the thing - I don’t know how possible it is to act funny. I think to do it well, you’ve got to be pretty funny. If you do check out those two movies, then pop back in and tell me what you think.

Well, there’s funny, and there’s straight-man funny. I would have thought of Kilmer as more of the straight-man type (before I saw that video). Both require a lot of comedic timing though, so, fair point. We’ve got a very long list of films to watch, thanks in part to threads right here, so it may be a while, but yeah, I’ll pop back in when we get to one of them.

It’s definitely one of mine.

Real Genius is one of those rare movies where the main character is completely upstaged by almost the entire rest of the cast. It’s also basically a screwball comedy, which is a tough style to pull off, but Kilmer acquits himself very well in it. His comic twist of Doc Holliday steals the show in Tombstone as well. He’s also pretty funny in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Wow, watching that youtube clip, I don’t think I’d ever heard him speak since his cancer. Hope he recovers. He looks a lot better than he used to, though. Like a better aged version of young Val Kilmer.

Can I guess that you don’t read Reddit much? If you were a /r/movies reader, you’d see Val Kilmer drop by from time to time and chat with movie fans or do AMAs (Ask Me Anything).

In those, he always interacts in such a nice way with posters who ask him the same questions again and again, shares stories from the film sets and jokes around in a very relaxed way.

You can say he’s acting nice and funny. He’s used to it when promoting movies. But he’s one of the few who just drops by for a chat and genuinely seems to enjoy it every time.

He doesn’t give the impression of being full of himself. Rather, he comes across as someone who enjoys the craft and feels lucky to have had so much fun making movies. And he doesn’t need to be prompted much to tell jokes.

It’s my understanding that he was awfully full of himself from roughly Willow through The Ghost And The Darkness. But the air started leaking out of that overfilled balloon sometime after The Saint.

Yes. Kilmer had a reputation for being “difficult” at the height of his career. Whether that’s true or not is up for debate, but Hollywood tends to stop calling if you’re known as someone that can cost a production unforeseen expenses.

Oh shit, how could I have overlooked that?!? One of my favorite roles by anyone, anywhere.
Yeah, okay. I admit I was fully wrong.

There’s no doubt it’s true. There are whole documentaries on it.

To rate a documentary! That’s damn difficult…

When he was younger he was certainly full of himself. Full on diva. But he’s mellowed out a lot with age.

Upon actually reading the rest of the thread, what they said^^^^

A bit geeky for airplane buffs, but…

This is a museum bird; non-flyable. The only flyable F-14s in the world belong to Iran.

Sounds like we got put on a highway.

To some kind of perilous area…

That is going to take my breath away…

I can’t be the only one on this forum that had no idea F-14s were retired over a decade ago.