Top of the fookin' mornin' to ya!

'Cos St. Patrick was a cross-dresser. 'Tis true!

It’s St Patrick’s Day, but sometimes people say Patty or Paddy. I think Patty is vaguely gross sounding, like a celebration of hamburgers or something.

Didn’t St. Patrick play a pipe that made all the snakes in Ireland leave or something like that? Maybe he was wearing a kilt?

If you aren’t saying it in the original Irish, Lá Fhéile Pádraig, you can go fook yerself.

(you can say patty’s or paddy’s or patties. its all the same)

Well, lads i’m going to have to respectfully disagree that it’s all the same. Is it an American thing? 'Cos I’ve not heard it put like that anywhere else. As Bullhajj says, a patty is a burger. Patties Day? How is that supposed to indicate that it’s a day to honour St. Patrick?
It sounds more like it was just a misunderstanding that took root. No doubt everyone knows what a patty is, and not everyone knows who St. Paddy is.

But it’s no big deal. I was just curious as to where that particular spelling came from.

You have to understand the American perspective. We are basically indifferent to St Patrick and I’d be willing to wager a majority of the people who cele-inebriate St Patrick’s day enthusiastically don’t even know thing one about him. We do however love an excuse to drink too much!

Corned beef & cabbage
Irish Soda Bread
Corned beef hash

100% truth. I’d put the figure of ignorace of who St. Patrick is at around 99% outside the Boston area.

St. Patrick’s Day here in the states is also known as St. Amateur’s Drinking Day. I went to a co-workers keg party and just hung out there from 10:30am until midnight. Floated 2 kegs. We didn’t even wander over to the parade route as there was no need to brave the bone-headed masses.

And ElGuapo you experienced the phenomenon that I refer to as the Man Rub. While completely annoying it has fascinated me over the years. I’ll be standing with a group of friends and all of a sudden another guy, with plenty of room around, will start backing in to our space. Almost every time it’s a group of guys without girls. It has to be on purpose but I’m convinced there is also some latent territorial “head butting” going on as well. But you handled it with class so kudos to you.

I really wanted to knock him on his ass though. I guess it’s true, my fightin’ fighty days are over. Praise be to time and maturity!

It might have to do with political correctness, as the term “Paddy” in the USA has been used as a derogatory slur alongside kike, wog, jap, raghead, frog, and all the other colorful epithets that make our nation so great.

For the same reason people abbreviate Christmas to xmas or Xmas.

ElGuapo,

You should have smiled, turned and smashed a bar glass into his face like Leo DiCaprio in The Departed. I applaud your restraint though, nicely handled.

I saw “300” for St. Patrick’s Day. Bunch of sweaty Spartans dismembering deformed Persions is a fantastic way to celebrate an Irish holiday. Or something. What?

“Slainte Mhath” says I as I raise my glass to all of you! ;-)

It’s a big big country we’ve got here. It takes a lot of hate to fill it up.

With a few more gamers and devs, we can do it!