Top ten games of 2015

The scope is much smaller than XCOM. And on normal difficulty you can screw up badly and still turn out victorious. Playing on Iron man I've destroyed Hunter class dynasties, hadn't noticed province bonuses and didn't use them, lost several provinces and still was victorious.

Beautiful. I will definitely check those out, for sure. Thanks for your reply, and your great site.

Of these ten, I played Prison Architect, Hand of Fate, and Invisible Inc. I agree that they were all fantastic games, and Invisble Inc is my GOTY. Not surprising, I suppose, given that I adore xcom-like turn-based tactical gameplay. I almost finished the main campaign of Hand of Fate, but the last couple missions can be really tough. I hope to dip back into Prison Architect again someday, but I do worry that it's just complex enough to make me forget the basic rules and bounce off it next time I decide to load it up. I don't think I played any AAA titles this year - board gaming ended up consuming most of my play time.

Thanks, Tom, for this list. I'll be using it as a reminder to play Metal Gear Solid V and Arkham Knight one day.

Corrections:
"ingenous"
"at a snappier pace than almost [every] other game of its type"
"is it safe to go to walk [sic] over there"
"remembering that time his dad [showed] him ice"

This is the worst top games list of the year. I understand you're trying to be edgy and hip with a "whoa he's so deep" list but good grief....ugh

Great list. I usually disagree with about 90% of everything you write, but it's always interesting to read and provides a useful counter-perspective to the voices in my head. I've bounced hard off of Invisible Inc, Massive Chalice, and Prison Architect several times, but you've given an excuse for 'once more unto the breach.' Bonus points for the Marquez reference at the end. Thanks Tom, and be well in 2016.

90%? Ouch. But that makes it all the more meaningful that you're reading what I write. :)

And I'm *so* glad someone got the Gabriel Garcia Marquez reference. Phew. That was one of those things that I would never get past an editor when I was freelancing.

OK, maybe 90% is a bit of hyperbole. But I don't read about games for validation; I want perspective. If someone loves something I don't, I want to know why. I find, for instance, that there's some music that you just don't get until you see it performed live, until the emotional beats and subtle rhythms and overall feel of a song can be communicated by watching a live person move and emote with it. What you value in gaming often seems orthogonal to what I do, but I like visiting other countries, getting glimpses of the "life in these blue worlds so close, though light years away."

And rest easy, your Marquez is safe with me:) Thanks for the reply!