Top ten games of 2017

That was a great list, and a great read. I always get so uplifted to read about what people LIKE about games - I get an itch to play them all. Thank you, and thank you for a great year once again here at Qt3!

Great writing as always, Tom.
Best wishes to you in the coming year, and to everyone here.
It’s been great knowing you all, and look forward to more good times ahead.
Happy New Year everyone!

Holy crap. This is the first year I’ve actually played 4 of Tom’s nominees (and agree on 3 of them). It truly must be the End of Days

I liked Has-been Heroes, but would have gone with Monster Slayers instead.

And I’m guessing Space Tyrant would have made it onto the list if it made it out of Early Access in time.

Thanks, Tom and all the other Quarter to Three contributors, for another year of writing for this website!

Space Tyrant is better than all 3 of them.

Another great read, Tom. I wish you a fantastic 2018 filled with great games!

Dawn of Andromeda reviews are very meh. What makes you recommend it so highly? Maybe I’ll give it another look…

For me that game was Galactic Civilization II, which came out in 2006, I believe. Since then, every time I feel the urge to play a Space 4X, I’ve fired up MOO2. Very satisfying. Always does the trick.

That was a great read Tom. Looking backward at previous year’s winners in hindsight was very insightful. I hope you have a great year and continue to bring us great writing for years to come.

Overall, in 2017, I love how diverse people’s lists are this year. You’ve got gaming at a point where out of lots of great games, you pick the ones that mean the most to you. At first I was thinking of that negatively, thinking that there was nothing spectacular that blew everyone away. But really, there’s games this year that blew individual people away. People that connected with Zelda, people that connected with Horizon, people that connected with Wolfenstein, people that loved exploring Roman era Egypt, or a fictional Bolivia with their friends, or playing Battle Royale on an island with other people in a fight to the death. 2017 was a great year for games, but it was more personalized than ever before, and I like this trend.

I’m struck by this too, seems like 2017 has been remarkable for developing breadth in general for gaming. Not just Tom’s but quite a few lists are comprised of games I never played, and usually contain a few I had never heard of. That seems pretty cool as a player, not sure how that strikes makers. Might be hard gaining momentum for your title with so much out there and so many are at least pretty good.

It never fails that I start the new year off by getting hooked on at least one of the games on Tom’s list. This year I hope that’s Has-Been Heroes and Pathfinder, I have them both downloading now. I had already heard good word of mouth on Has-Been so this pushed me over the edge, and Pathfinder is under 5 bucks right now on the steam sale. Thanks Tom - Happy New Year!!!

I agree, but it’s still in early access.

It just feels different enough to be fun, for me. 2017s problem was that there were too many 4X games. It’s not on a level of Distant Worlds, IG2 or MoO2, but for games that came out in 2017, it’s a bit better than the others.

I see, thanks. It’s on sale for $15, so I’ll consider it…

FWIW, I disliked Civ 5, never bothered getting Civ 6, and dislike Endless Legend.

I am still enjoying the 4x genre though, and am still enjoying Age of Wonders 3, with occasional forays into TW:Warhammer 2.

So I don’t think it’s you, or the genre, but just those games. :P

I find myself wanting to play computer games a bit less and explore my collection of boardgames a bit more.

There’s just something great about screwing over someone infront of you, or having it done to you. So much fun :).

I bought the original Endless Space and gave up about an hour in. The UX is terrible.

I’m so glad Tom has been championing Agents of Mayhem. It looked like a game I would really enjoy, but so many of the other reviewers I respect were disappointed that I probably would have dropped it to the bottom of my list. I haven’t tried it yet because backlog, but Tom’s given me hope that it’s worth trying sooner rather than never.

I was enjoying reading this piece so much. And then…

Shame! Shame!

The personal impact and timing of games is something that isn’t addressed enough, well done. Everyone is in a different place, at a different time, with different appreciations and motivations that resonate with them, it’s something that’s easy to forget.

That being said, I found your inclusion of “2” games, immediately after your speech about not including some games because they were iterations to be fairly funny.

The only two PC games I bought during the holiday sales were Injustice 2 and Agents of Mayhem, and Tom’s had an influence on both. Injustice 2 has been a lot of fun so far.