Top Ten Handhelds that Never Made it

Wow, did you get a new thesaurus today? So, it’s better to put out an inferior product that required most people to purchase a light add-on that burned the batteries anyway?

Which is more inferior? The one that uses external lighting or the one that sucks 6-8 batteries in a day? Debatable I guess.

I don’t care about your little fag fight with Dave Long, but just so you know, your constant onanism on the inanimate bellies of day-glo electronic devices just basically robs you of any credibility in any other discussion whatsoever.

Evil Avatar just called, Cryptie. He misses you.

–scharmers

Lynx. Plugged in, of course.

[quote=“Jazar”]

Which is more inferior? The one that uses external lighting or the one that sucks 6-8 batteries in a day? Debatable I guess.[/quote]
Probably the one that came attached to a machine that cost $100 less, although Dave doesn’t want to mention that

Can I just wax nostalgic about how great the joystick for the NGPC was?
Something about that clicky little feller’ was perfection for me.

Card Fighter’s clash was great, so were all the fighting games.

For those that know the history of Dan, finally seeing him get to fight Ryo head to head in Match of the Millenium was pure joy.
“Yeah? Well my dad can shoot laser beams out of his NOSE!”

sigh Good times.

That gamespot list is far from complete. It’s closer to 100.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/neopocket/index.html

For the record: Biomotor Unitron and Faselei are two amazing games.

Which is more inferior? The one that uses external lighting or the one that sucks 6-8 batteries in a day? Debatable I guess.[/quote]
Probably the one that came attached to a machine that cost $100 less, although Dave doesn’t want to mention that[/quote]

Not sure what you mean by this? Do you mean the SP?

So, it’s better to put out an inferior product that required most people to purchase a light add-on that burned the batteries anyway?

Um, does a light add-on require you to go through 8 AA batteries a day? If yes, no. If no, yes. Huh?

PS: You know when guys get threatened that you’re comfortable with a word that they had to look up so they call you some variation of “thesaurus humper”? After looking up what “thesaurus” means? I think that is adorable.

Considering the advances in tech since the Nomad came out I’d say that it would be insane to have a device that chewed through batteries in that manner. Are you saying that it doesn’t shorten the battery time noticeably in an original GBA when you use a light? To build a device that was universally criticized for not having a screen that was visible under most lighting conditions under the guise of power saving is a joke.

God damned thesaurus humpers. I swear, I was ok with ya until you started moving into my neighborhood, marrying all our women and buying up all our real estate. Whats this world coming to?

I bow to the infinite storehouse of knowledge that is your cranium.

Either of the GBAs (although ten years of inflation’s doing funny things to price comparisons). If you’re going to say the Lynx and Gamegear had a better screen than the original GBA, well… maybe? In that they’re backlit, I guess. I’m assuming that’s what you meant, since the GG and Lynx screens were lower res, had lower colour depth and suffered from terrible ghosting as well as screens that had to be held at an almost exact angle in order to be visible (sound familiar?)

Either of the GBAs (although ten years of inflation’s doing funny things to price comparisons). If you’re going to say the Lynx and Gamegear had a better screen than the original GBA, well… maybe? In that they’re backlit, I guess. I’m assuming that’s what you meant, since the GG and Lynx screens were lower res, had lower colour depth and suffered from terrible ghosting as well as screens that had to be held at an almost exact angle in order to be visible (sound familiar?)[/quote]

I said in some ways. I meant the lighting, which I should have said explicitly. Otherwise the GBA screen is pretty good. I might still buy one with an Afterburner installed, but I already have too many games to play at the moment.

I’d be lucky to get the 10 advertised hours of use from the backlit LCD in my cellphone or digital camera that I do out of my front-lit GBA SP. (not to say it’s a scientific comparison because I don’t know what the CPU drain is)

I guess we’ll see when the PSP comes out, but looking at some PDA reviews, the difference between running a system with a backlight on and off is about 12 hours (4 hours with it on, 16 hours with it off)

Just buy an SP at this point - it is, as I understand it, the same technology. In addition to the front light, you get the clam-shell design which is pretty snazzy

No, although in fairness, none of the light add-ons illuminated the screen particularly well, either. Part of the problem was the high-glare cover that Nintendo slapped over the screen. As soon as you position the light to illuminate the display, it becomes impossible to see again because now you have this bright reflection of the light itself blazing on the super-reflective screen cover. Frankly, I would have prefered a backlit screen, even if it meant half the battery life. Not much point in entending playing by making it unplayable in most of the places that I’d like to play it. Like, anywhere that isn’t outdoors, in daylight. Well, and in airplanes. The overhead light in airplanes provides pretty good illumination for a GBA. The non-illuminated screen in the GBA was a big mistake, and I’d guess that Nintendo agrees, since it didn’t take them long to re-engineer and replace the thing with a vastly improved model.

[quote=“Gunmetal”]

Just buy an SP at this point - it is, as I understand it, the same technology. In addition to the front light, you get the clam-shell design which is pretty snazzy[/quote]

I was looking at it and borrowed one from a friend for a bit. Unfortunately I had the same problem with the SP that I had with my GBC. I have large meathooks and they tend to cramp when gripping the small form factor case.

I could never get Faselei - it was going for $100 on ebay, since so few were produced. Sigh.