Top Ten Handhelds that Never Made it

When I’m using the GBA SP, my hands are spaced like I’m holding the regular GBA. I was surprised that I actually found the SP more comfortable - being able to hit the shoulder buttons from 3 different sides really helps. Plus all those years of playing Street Fighter on consoles have mangled my hands so badly it doesn’t really matter what it’s shaped like

I’m in no position to boost my console collection right now, but for once a Gamespy list has come in handy for the future.

I must admit that I’m a little ignorant when it comes to handhelds, does anyone have any good references (or time) to explain to me their opinions on the best one or two of that list?

The Nomad is pretty cool considering it plays all Genesis games and can be plugged in… but that’s about all I know regarding the obscure handhelds.

God the Game Gear had a horrible screen for games…then they went and put Sonic on it which blazed by so quickly you couldn’t see a goddamn thing.

–Dave

DaveC terrifies me now. Between his controller preferences and his inability to comfortably hold a GBA SP I can’t imagine him being anything other than a gigantic land sloth with lobster claws that spin around like drills.

Sorry to pick on you like that, Dave.

I think he’s just contrarian because he knows it pisses people off.

–Dave

What really helped me with that was the GameXchanger gadget Radiks put out not too long ago. You plug an SP into it and up to three games, then you can toggle between the games with a selector switch. It’s not a bad peripheral, but its true use is that it gives the SP these huge, durable side handles.

I don’t have big hands, but they do cramp up after, oh, say, six, seven hours of Aria of Sorrow, so the Xchanger came in handy.

DP.

I don’t know about that. It doesn’t make me angry that he says his grotesque claws can’t grip a GBA.

Also: If you think he’s just doing it to piss you off, why don’t you do everybody a huge favour and ignore it?

I plugged my Nomad in, so the battery problem didn’t bother me. I mean, it was pretty big. Not exactly portable… and who wants to be seen in public with a Nomad anyway?

I mainly liked it because it played all 30 of my Genesis games and it connected to the TV and became a Genesis (it even had an extra controller port for 2 player).

Awesome.

You mean just like when you dump on anything Xbox?

What really helped me with that was the GameXchanger gadget Radiks put out not too long ago. You plug an SP into it and up to three games, then you can toggle between the games with a selector switch. It’s not a bad peripheral, but its true use is that it gives the SP these huge, durable side handles.

I don’t have big hands, but they do cramp up after, oh, say, six, seven hours of Aria of Sorrow, so the Xchanger came in handy.[/quote]

I saw that on Review On The Run the other day, looked interesting. How much did it cost? Also, where did you get it? I can’t seem to find it online.

The NGPC is certainly the best of the bunch. After that the Nomad is pretty darn good, and the Turbo Express is my third. I own all of these. The Turbo Express was expensive when it was released because it had one of the first active-matrix LCD screens to help prevent blurring (Or something like that.) But it does play a good game of Legendary Axe. The Wonderswan and Wonderswan color are decent but most of the games are in Japanese.

A working Microvision is rare. They are so old now that most of the LCD screens have rotted. Mine is almost unplayable.

Kevin

Of which 35 or so were US or world versions.

That’d be my fault, actually. I was about half unconscious when I wrote that and managed to mess up the name of the product.

It’s actually a Gamester Game Changer. Amazon’s got it for $11.99.

I loved mine when I got it.

Started out as a hardcore BreakOut player, thought Star Trek was going to be great (it wasn’t), but ultimately Connect Four ended up being the best game on the system.

http://www.gamespy.com/fargo/january04/nuclear/

A complimentary handheld feature on Gamespy. The sheer volume of gags he managed to fit into the gif is what makes it funny.

I also find the GBASP to be too narrow to hold comfortably, and I’m the average sized male. If I had one (I ended up getting a GBA the xmas before they announced the SP), I’d end up buying an add-on that makes it more comfortable to hold.

The funny thing about the original article is that no handheld has EVER made it except for Game Boy. That’s it. One handheld to rule them all.

–Dave