3 Rome: Total War by Activision
4 Star Wars Battlefront by LucasArts
5 Call of Duty: United Offensive by Activision
6 Doom 3 by Activision
7 Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude by VU Games
8 The Sims Deluxe by Electronic Arts
9 Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War by THQ
10 Myst IV: Revelation by Ubisoft

First off I’m very glad to see LSL on that list. I hope its very sucessful and other revivals will get the green light.

Second, I find it scary that I bought all but 2 of the top 10.

Doom 3 is still there?

Who knew.

I find it scary that I only bought one (CoD:UO)! I may pick up R:TW, but I don’t know when I will have the time to play it. I guess it proves there isn’t much I’m interested in coming out for the PC.

I didn’t buy any, and I find it cheap to count Sims 2 twice.

Geez, I hope not. Do we really want a bunch of crappy little repetitive mini games (wrapped in silicone exterior) terrorizing what were once great franchises?

All you need to read is this. From the man behind the REAL LSL games.

Geez, I hope not. Do we really want a bunch of crappy little repetitive mini games (wrapped in silicone exterior) terrorizing what were once great franchises?

All you need to read is this. From the man behind the REAL LSL games.[/quote]

Yeah, I’m actually horrified that LSL is selling so well. I was almost certain this game would tank and not sell at all. I have a terrible feeling that this game is somehow selling well enough to warrant a sequel. Here’s hoping that no one at VU finds out about the Space Quest or King’s Quest series and tries to run with it.

All you need to read is this. From the man behind the REAL LSL games.[/quote]

Yeah, I’m actually horrified that LSL is selling so well. I was almost certain this game would tank and not sell at all. I have a terrible feeling that this game is somehow selling well enough to warrant a sequel. Here’s hoping that no one at VU finds out about the Space Quest or King’s Quest series and tries to run with it.[/quote]

That’d probably be short lived. Pendulous breasts in a SQ or KQ game would be a bit more glaringly out of place.

I wonder how the sales break down by platform. Remember the PC version is a full $20 cheaper than the console. Although the console one might be the perfect type of game for a cheap rental just for the full polygonal nudity. :p

After seeing the actual figures for the August list the Top Ten sans numbers is pretty useless. In August Doom 3 sold something like 375k and the number two title, the Sims I believe, only sold 30k. There’s no doubt Sims 2 is selling huge but I wonder what the delta is between the rest of the titles. Yeah LSL is on the list but did it really move that many units?

Looks like no love for Tribes though.

Its his baby and the man is a bit bitter over that whole being fired thing. So I can’t really say he has an unbiased opinion. Plus its kind of ironic that someone who made six games about fucking would get upset over the use of the word “fuck.” The minigames were fun and don’t seem any different to the over all game that that “use random object x on random over y” game play of old.

Good to see that Rome is doing well…

Yup.

The “gameplay” of the old Sierra games was only fun in the context of the times. It was was an absurd melange of typing in the correct command at the right time and moving your onscreen character’s 4 pixel feet over 10 pixel hazards.

And yet there simply was no other company that put out such high quality games with such interesting settings and stories. The Space Quest games are probably the best example.

Wow, I’m kind of surprised to see the vitriol in Al Lowe’s review of LSL. But it’s understandable, I guess. Although I have to wonder what he’s smoking to make him say, “The plentiful load screens show cheesy photographs of average-looking college-aged women who don’t look sexy, but rather, ill-at-ease.”

But as I said in the LSL thread, I actually enjoyed the game and found it really funny in places. So I’m glad to see it do well.

The LucasArts SCUMM games?

-Scott-

I’ve been resisting picking up Rome though I heard it’s a great game.

I personally haven’t picked up anything new in ages. I just convinced my husband to play Doom 3 when he was looking for something new and he’s loving it. He’s even been getting into the chainsaw (which I have to say I’m pretty pleased with myself).

We’ve pre-ordered HL2 and WoW and that’s pretty much it.

I concur. They must have run out of money and couldn’t hire professional models, make-up artists, or photographers.

Unless, they were going after the “polaroids I took of my girlfriend” look on purpose. In which case, hats off to the talent; they really nailed that assignment.

LSL was never fun… this one at least has pendulous breasts - this won’t prevent me from foisting the review of to somebody else, so I don’t have to.

Two observations: hopefully the sales of the DVD version of The Sims 2 will spur more PC games to be released in that format. And as Kevin said, no love for Tribes. This chart is the first where Tribes: Vengeance had been in release for the full week and it didn’t even crack the top ten. Sigh. :(

Yeah, speaking of revivals, I was really looking forward to Tribes: Vegenance selling well. The originaly Tribes was a major step forward and it took a huge chunk out of my life. The only reason I haven’t picked up Vegenace yet is because I’m afraid it will again suck up too much of my free time.

Anyways, I hope Vegenace does poke its head up and get some good sales. Its one of the few series I root for.

The LucasArts SCUMM games?

-Scott-[/quote]

Dont get me wrong, I love all the old Lucasarts adventures, namely Monkey Island 1,2 and Fate of Atlantis. But when I heard that alien puke noise in the intro of Space Quest 4 coming through my brand new soundblaster card, I knew I was making personal history. The only thing to come close was the magnified Largo loogi in the first chapter of Monkey Island 2. Those two games, along with Ultima 7 are the first to pop to mind when someone asks me about the high point of my gaming career.