Torchlight 2 Release Thread

That review made me very tempted to get it. But not long after Guild Wars 2 and the day before Borderlands 2 unlocks in UK is a very bad time for this game to come out.

I just can’t see myself making much time for Torchlight 2 when I also need to make co-op time for Borderlands 2. Gah! Too many good games at once!

Wendelius

I’ve hit level 12 and really enjoying it, I also have Borderlands 2 pre ordered for tomrrow and playing GW2 as well, I need more hours. I’m even playing golf on saturday for the first time in ages just when I need time to play pc games :)

Time to quit your job and drink lots of Red Bull? :)

Wendelius

I can’t speak to the loot, but from what I played of the beta – and reviews of the final release seem to corroborate this – the game is definitely more challenging than the first one, which, as you said, was fairly easy even on hard (I still played the hell out of it though).

And lose the wife and kids

I’m sure this is going to shock everyone, but this game is amazing. I’m enjoying the engineer and agonizing over how to build it out. So far, being able to smash things with a giant fiery hammer is some kind of wonderful.

I’m playing on Veteran, and its definitely not that hard - I’ve died a few times from monsters that are resistant to my attacks, but thats all.

All I have to say is WHEEEEEE!!!

It’s totally great; easy to tell what’s going on, totally pretty to look at, and the mechanics are rewarding and clear. What fun. I didn’t like the up-close nature of the Beserker, so I restarted as an Embermage and am totally loving being a ranged caster. I also found a sweet shotgun, so that helps. :)

I’m off, out of this thread until my mania wears off. I find talking about this stuff too much will kill the fun and discovery of the game. Happy ARPGing!

Something about this just doesn’t seem right. I’m guessing this is either a typo, or it was intended to advertise the 4-pack, but didn’t actually mention the 4pack:

That is just the collectors edition. Your bonus is smugly knowing that you spent too much.

There has been all sorts of craziness going on around Steam today - constant flipping between prices, lists disappearing. Hopefully it is settling down now!

So, I decided to do my own research on Torchlight II’s feel by downloading the demo and trying it myself. Here are some impressions based on around an hour of play with the Embermage and the Berserker.

• The graphics are very pleasing to look at. Not a technical marvel, to be sure, but the look is very clean and the art style suits the game well.

• The music is subtle and excellent, something I knew before going in. It evokes Diablo II heavily, and that is a very good thing.

• The map randomization is fantastic. One of my other large complaints about Diablo III was the poor randomization of maps. It had it, sure, but you still often felt like you were going through the same areas. Torchlight II, at least from the little I saw, does not have this problem.

• The itemization seems great. Again, I haven’t seen much, but the items I picked up make me feel like there will be a ton of unique loot with plenty of interesting, game-changing affixes.

• Sadly, the feel of the game seems about as I remember it from the beta. It’s not bad by any means, but it doesn’t have the impact of DIII, at least from what I played. The primary element of this is the physics engine, which in terms of breakable objects and ragdolls doesn’t feel overly robust to me. Little things like the Berserker’s primary attack feeling like it goes through an enemy rather than hitting them (mainly a hitstun thing) or the small delay before the embermage fires her spells (intentional, I’m sure, but I don’t like it) also impact the ineffable feel here. For the record, I could easily see people disagreeing with this view, and it’s possible I just haven’t played enough to get into the game’s flow, so I welcome contrary opinions.

In case anyone is curious, here’s an example of the excellent map randomization taken from two instances of, um, the first area after you reach the main town. I think it’s called Forlorn Path or something.

Hmmm. I’m kind of a Steam 4-pack noob so some help would be great. I purchased the 4-pack to share with my sons and I installed and tried out the game (It’s pretty!). But I can’t find any keys to send my sons anywhere.

I checked under Games… Manage Gifts and Guest Passes and looked around my account. What am I missing? Where do those keys appear?

Wendelius

There is a manage inventory under my profile. I believe extra game keys show up there.

Ah yes. That goes to the same screen as the gifts one. Unfortunately, no extra TL2 keys there. :(

Are those supposed to take a while to show up?

It’s strange because both the email I got and my purchase history list it as the 4-pack:

This email message will serve as your receipt. You can also access your Purchase History online at any time.

Torchlight II 4-pack
44.99 GBP

Hmmm…

Wendelius

I’ve bought a few 4 packs over the course of the last couple of years and as far as I can recall the extra copies always popped up on my account almost instantaneously.

I don’t recall whether it may have changed with the new Steam UI, but they should either be in you Gifts/Guest Passes or just sitting in your inventory. Since neither of those look to contain your games, I would consider sending an email to Steam support after another good look around and maybe checking the Steam forum to see if anybody has a similar issue.

Yay, I can finally play this! Why am I so tempted to make a dual-pistol beserker?

Quickgame to test if there huge changes. Oh noes, I can’t remember my username and password on runic games. Oh noes, I got stuck on the first quest. Going back to Borderlands, my hands are full atm. Want to play T2 for very long with a embermage. Started the character in hard difficulty because (Easy and normal will probably make boss and encounters too short).

While eating dinner I had T2 open in the background, my character sitting in the middle of the first city, and there’s a constant thunderstorm and dripping rain. It’s wonderfully tooled atmosphere.

The bulldog constantly slobbers drool everywhere. :LOVE: I am picking the hell out of him as my pet.