Torchlight 3 - We Used To Be Friends, A Long Time Ago

Did they move? As far as I know Perfect World stuff is on Steam too. At least I only ever used Arc to input promo codes when I was trying out NWN Online, Star Trek Online and Champions Online.

Well, it says so in the press release so I think they did?

Accompanying this transition to a more traditional release, we will also be moving over to Steam as the platform for PC distribution. Everyone who had played our previous Alphas on Arc can expect to receive a Steam key in their email granting them access to further pre-release testing on Steam.

I wonder if they’d make more Money on Steam even with Valve’s 30% cut than on an under-trafficked niche launcher/store like Arc.

Veronica Mars Torchlight? I’d be in!

I’ll be the odd duck and admit that while I wasn’t very interested in Frontiers, I’m probably less so in Torchlight 3. While I didn’t have much confidence or anticipation for Frontiers, it could at least be plausibly different than a lot of the other ARPGs on the market. Going with a traditional act structure and the like just sounds like more of the same and there’s a bunch of really good options out there right now with Diablo 3, Grim Dawn, Path of Exile, Wolcen coming out of early access next month, and a bunch of others.

Basically, it’s a crowded market and I already felt like Torchlight 2 was really generic. Going with a more standard approach just makes it seem more so, despite the prospect of buy once and offline play being appealing to me. Not sure if that makes any sense to anyone else, but that’s where I’m at right now.

Just saw this updating my alpha game now. This sounds much better then the rabbit hole it was going down for sure.

Huh, this seems like overall great news – I haven’t followed this at all, but now it’s on Steam as a traditional offline-enabled (hah!) single-playerable game? And it’s being made by at least some folks who have relevant experience?

Since when do we get to have nice things?

Yeah they made a good choice with the pivot back to Torchlight 3.

They have seen the (torch) light.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-04-23-torchlight-3-the-big-interview

Still on track for PC release in 2020. Cool.

Doooope.

I love they’re going to release two presumably awesome sequels between D3 and D4. Way to get in that OODA loop, Torchlight.

Also, the pet hate is funny. I think the breaks to examine items and skills are plenty.

I just want them to fix their sync issues. It was so… so bad, like people sending me screenshots of things that were not on the screens of the other two people sort of thing. I lived the EQ pet hate as a mage… I can endure this group’s easily.

Torchlight 3 is up on Steam early access now. $29.99.

I’d provide a link but I can never find a way to link Steam games from the Android app on my tablet, and going to the Steam website just opens my app. But I’m sure somebody helpful will come along.

Here you go.

Multiplayer online only right now, so you cant play this alone? That sucks.

Thanks for saving me $30. That wasn’t obvious until I read through all the EA stuff after you pointed it out.

It’s even worse than that, apparently they plan to delete all your characters/accounts in a couple months.

Will there be a wipe?
Yes. At the end of Early Access there will be a wipe so that we can continue to aggressively test new features and bug fixes. Players who purchase the Early Access version will retain their copy of the game - this will be an account/character wipe only.”

That seems aggressively silly.

I could have sworn there was some big news that this went single player instead of the forced MMO type game they tried to make?