Torchlight Frontiers - Co-Op Diablo Goodness

That’s not unusual for an announcement trailer.

Perfect World is publishing it, so there’s a fair chance it will be microtransaction-heavy.

Perfect World bought Runic all the way back in 2010 (majority stake, anyway). Makes sense that the new company built from the ashes is being published by the same people. Hopefully they keep their nose out like they did with Runic, but Perfect World + online game does make me nervous.

Do! It’s great fun, especially co-op. Doesn’t take too long to beat either. My wife and I played it for approximately 20 hours, start to finish – much better than our 63-hour romp in Titan Quest! (Though both were enjoyable to play anyway.)

Torchlight’s shift toward a game-as-a-service philosophy

Yuck.

Yeah… umm.

So… an ARPG for people who thought the Cow Level and Whimsydale were the best parts of Diablo.

I don’t know. That just looked like Torchlight to me.

The visuals didn’t turn me off, but of course what will make or break the game are the mechanics, character development, etc. None of which is known at this point (I did go to their website but it just has a video and no real description of the game).

It’s not out until 2019 (at least) so I expect we’ll find out all that stuff before the game launches.

Here’s a hand’s-on:

Another article I read said that beta is starting soonish.

Their website does have as “sign up for beta” button on it.

Same here. Looks great. That article sounds very encouraging as well.

I want to say the lighting and animation seems a lot more “physical” and than the more stylized Torchlight look, if you catch my drift. Like the shaders are more material based and the animation seems to have more weight to the motion.

Looks good.

Im signed up ready for beta but no email yet.

Torchlight was always one of my favourites and TL2 remains a perma-install. I have a game on the go with Synergies and some other mods and there’s plenty of content ive not seen but something new is a real prospect.

Any word on controller support?

Anyone else get an alpha invite?

Not I. But I’m really not interested unless I can play this on my phone! ;)

No NDA? How is it?

It is just a small test running this coming weekend according to the email I received. Don’t know much beyond that. I’m out of town for a conference at the moment, so I won’t be dealing with it until I get back.