Torchlight Frontiers - Co-Op Diablo Goodness

They have their own snappy catch phrases?

Kidding aside, I translated it as “having multiple characters with actual personality” as opposed to the Be Anything blank slate approach.

I guess I just don’t see much fundamental difference between that idea and say, Diablo classes.

True, but builds were fairly limited in Marvel Heroes. Meaning what actually worked tended to be a narrow set of options. Still, that does fit the parameters.

How about Agents of Mayhem? It certainly scratched that particular itch for me.

Heroes are unique characters, not blank slates. They add personality.

On a mechanical level yes, it would make each hero dramatically less customizable baseline, and you would want to move a lot of progression to gear.

There is that Hellsing ARPG. Classes and one character.

I would love to see more Third Person Action RPGs.

I’ve had that itch ever since Hellgate London’s troubled launch. I’ve had a lot of fun with Warframe, but it’s not quite the same thing.

The core HG:L gameplay was fun as hell. It worked, the third-person ARPG worked. HG:L failed for other reasons.

Totally agree, I loved the game.

Ehh. Absolutely nothing about the actual game play in that trailer. What exactly will be special about this game to differentiate it from all the other ARGPs out there?

That’s not unusual for an announcement trailer.

Perfect World is publishing it, so there’s a fair chance it will be microtransaction-heavy.

Perfect World bought Runic all the way back in 2010 (majority stake, anyway). Makes sense that the new company built from the ashes is being published by the same people. Hopefully they keep their nose out like they did with Runic, but Perfect World + online game does make me nervous.

Do! It’s great fun, especially co-op. Doesn’t take too long to beat either. My wife and I played it for approximately 20 hours, start to finish – much better than our 63-hour romp in Titan Quest! (Though both were enjoyable to play anyway.)

Torchlight’s shift toward a game-as-a-service philosophy

Yuck.

Yeah… umm.

So… an ARPG for people who thought the Cow Level and Whimsydale were the best parts of Diablo.

I don’t know. That just looked like Torchlight to me.

The visuals didn’t turn me off, but of course what will make or break the game are the mechanics, character development, etc. None of which is known at this point (I did go to their website but it just has a video and no real description of the game).

It’s not out until 2019 (at least) so I expect we’ll find out all that stuff before the game launches.

Here’s a hand’s-on:

Another article I read said that beta is starting soonish.