Torchwood

Anyone else planning on torrenting (or if you’re in the UK, watching) this? Start on the 22nd. I’ve been looking forward to this more than to the next series of Dr Who … almost.

I’ll check it out, but I’m not terribly enthused about it yet. Captain Jack was fun in his one episode, but not enough to carry an entire show IMHO, and none of the rest of the cast rings my bells.

I’m more interested in the Sarah Jane Smith spin-off. She still looks hot in a gilf-y kinda way.

One episode? He was almost in half the season.

Definitely interested in checking out Torchwood, but I’m skeptical about its long-term prospects

Sorry - brain fart. But it gives you an idea how strong of an impression Jack left on me… :-/

Seen a lot of bisexual space pirates have you? ; )

I’d like to see it.

Maybe they’ll not focus on the bi-sexual aspect as much in Tourchwood as the did in Doctor Who.

Though he was an odd change as companions go. First male companion to give the Doctor a kiss I think.

It’s bad. Just watched the first two episodes here in the UK.

beef #1 : why does even the simple act of looking up someones name on a computer require lots of flickering lights and hexadecimel text flowing over the screen? Why can’t you do anything on a computer that doesnt involve at least 4 big LCD screens?

beef #2 : whats with the miami vice music every now and then? And the footage of people standing on the tops of buildings looking cool.

beef #3 : Errrr… so episode 2 is basically about an evil alien that wants to have lesbian sex with everyone. gratuitous? nahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

beef #4: We are torchwood. we stay low key. thus we drive around in a large black van with no numberplates, and blue flickering lights inside the windows to look really futuristic. This will not arouse suspicion.

beef #5: I cant even shoplift a t-shirt in the high street without an alarm going off, but apparently everyone can take classified alien weaponary from torchwood home in their pockets.

The main chick in it is pretty attractive, despite the overly goggly eyes, but the whole thing makes me cringe and ashamed of liking science fiction. Why can’t they get Greg Bear or Iain Banks to write a sci-fi TV series?

Im pretty out of touch with modern sci-fi though, I find almost all of it unwatchable, so YMMV.

On the flipside, its cool to be watching something in the UK before people get to see it in the states for a change :D And its cool to have sci-fi set in the UK, even if its Cardiff.

Uh, there’s a ton of good television that you get to see first.

I’m still waiting for my torrents to download, and then I’ll take a looksee.

okay, I haven’t seen this yet (go-go gadget downloader), but regarding cillfski’s beefs #1-5:

It sounds awesome.

Im pretty out of touch with modern sci-fi though, I find almost all of it unwatchable, so YMMV.

Here’s hoping you overcome your allergy to fun.

I only watched the first episode of the two that were on tonight, but I thought it was very entertaining. Not as good as good Doctor Who, but it was only the first episode. I wish they had given some clue as to how and why Jack is on present day Earth, but they seem to be setting that up as a little bit of a season-long mystery, so I guess it’s ok.

Also, none of the other characters were fleshed out. At all. The show may as well have been called The Adventures of Captain Jack and Cute Cop, but hopefully they’ll give some spotlight to the others later.

I just watched the first episode. While I wait for the 2nd to dribble in, here’s a more precise rebuttal:

This criticism doesn’t apply solely to Torchwood and is hereby invalidated. Plus, I don’t know about you, but I’m using two monitors and only the size of my wallet, my desk, and my conscience prevents me from using five.

beef #2 : whats with the miami vice music every now and then? And the footage of people standing on the tops of buildings looking cool.

Best part of the show. What would you prefer that they look like? Forum posters?

beef #3 : Errrr… so episode 2 is basically about an evil alien that wants to have lesbian sex with everyone. gratuitous? nahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I haven’t watched episode 2 yet, but with the quintuple quintessence of “evil,” “alien,” “lesbian,” “sex,” and “everyone” I find it hard to understand how this is a problem for anyone.

beef #4: We are torchwood. we stay low key. thus we drive around in a large black van with no numberplates, and blue flickering lights inside the windows to look really futuristic. This will not arouse suspicion.

Now you’re just being silly, since the van does have number plates and it’s not uncommon for emergency vehicles to have flashing lights, blue or otherwise.

If you were paying attention to the show, it’s rather obvious that suspicion isn’t really a concern of Torchwood’s. “Oh look, people are staring at our black van with blue lights.” “FIDO, we can always travel through time and erase people’s memories as it suits us.” Seriously, you’re watching a show about aliens and time travel and a spooky van has you bewildered?

beef #5: I cant even shoplift a t-shirt in the high street without an alarm going off, but apparently everyone can take classified alien weaponary from torchwood home in their pockets.

They could before; Jack was lying to Gwen when he said “no one takes anything home.” Then when Suzie was corrupted by the evil glove, the policy was redacted (and/or they put on a show because Gwen was coming on board).

but the whole thing makes me cringe and ashamed of liking science fiction.

I’m sorry to hear that and I hope you’re going to get over your mid-life crisis soon.

This fits perfectly with established Doctor Who continuity in terms of secret organizations.

For example, UNIT was supposed to be a hush-hush organization created to protect the Earth against alien and paranormal threats.

Yet one only has to watch through the 3rd Doctor’s exile to Earth to see just how many people knew about the organization. The Brigadier even sarcastically comments on this during a few episodes.

It also isn’t quite out of the ordinary if you read about some of the odd behaviors and experiences in UFO myths about the “Men in Black”.

Jack Sparrow was novel - everyone else just seems like a pale imitation.

Really, I just want to know how tongue-in-cheek this show is…in terms of having a sense of humor about itself, not in terms of snogging.

I’m curious as to which type of cheek you meant.

It was worth the download, at least. Not perfect by any means, but still worth at least giving it a two-episode trial.

I appreciated the “cameo” by the 10th Doctor in both episodes even if it was over the top and silly. That and Captain Jack’s secret he’s keeping from the others gives a good time frame for when this is taking place relative to his time in Doctor Who.

Not wretched, but I hope it gets a lot better. Not a big fan of Captain Jack doing his best Superman impersonation. And the in-your-face, sex-it-up aspects smack of the gratuitousness of Hex.

The big problem, though, is that I’m not sure Barrowman has the charisma to anchor the show. The wisecracking seems forced while his more serious moments tend towards the milquetoast.

Nope. CJ says quite clearly in the first epsiode that no alien tech is to leave the base. It then cuts to the ironic clips of the Torchwood gang and their homebound gizmos.

Ohhhhhhhhh, is THAT what that was? I didn’t put it together until now.

And I imagine that I’m the only one who here who didn’t realize that “Torchwood” is an anagram.

One more thing:

Isn’t Torchwood’s mission to find and exploit alien tech to arm the UK, not mankind? That certainly seemed to be the impetus of Torchwood One, yet CJ makes a point of saying how no one nation should get their hands on the stuff.

The pilot didn’t give me much desire to point the torrent machine at anything further. Mostly it made me wish season three of the real show was starting sooner.

Jack is a known liar. And you didn’t see him getting very worked up when the other guy dropped the instant prison making device in the second episode, did you?