Torment: Tides of Numenera

I found Icewind Dale to be too hard. I got to a point that I was being killed and no way to change the outcome. So I quit and never went back.

A lot of people like Baldur’s Gate 2, I’m definitely in the minority.

I’ve not played the Icewind Dale games, but I’m under the impression they push the combat more as a focus, and require you to min-max your party from the beginning.

Definitely, IWD has more focus on combat and is less about story-telling and relationships (honestly, I couldn’t even tell you a character’s name or what the story was about now, unlike with the BG series). However, there is no way you’d need to min-max your party. Creating your party to fit their classes in the normal range for D&D is good enough.

About Tides, I really think it’s a done deal at this point, and I’m unlikely to ever revisit it. It was just not so enjoyable to entice me to give it another try, even with new content.

Have to say I’m surprised by the metacritic. All the impressions I read some time back said the writing was average at best, which is a bit of a deal breaker for a game/light novel.

If you get BG2 off Gog, you can roll back to one of the earlier patches which removes fanfic npcs/quests by the update team. Sort of like taking your own guitar to an Eric Clapton concert. But it it keeps all the remastering.

It’s a funny old game if you’ve got a spare 80 hours. Has a great scope and sense of adventure in the opening chapters. PoE really missed out on recapturing that, but its hard to reduce to a formula.

PoE really got that in the very first sequence (with the caravan, then the first dungeon), but lost the focus of it pretty quickly, after the first reveal of the pylon thingy. It introduced the big bad villainous thing too early, it should have continued with the “starting small” feeling.

I think that kind of CRPG is all about the “starting small” thing, like in Tolkien where you have the hobbits starting off from the Shire, and it still feels big to them, but it’s quite small relative to what comes afterwards. i.e. there are hints of weirdness, but things only get actually weird quite gradually (and only start getting really weird by the time they get to Weathertop).

Same with BG1 - it’s something about starting off with a comfy, cosy feeling, and venturing forth from that (also reference the Tolkien song about the thousand mile journey starting with a single step, or whatever it is). If you can capture that feeling, then you’re golden.

I just beat this over the holiday break.

Coming off of playing this and Planescape: Torment: EE back to back I think this was a worthy thematic successor to the Torment series. I definitely appreciated that you can get away with less than a handful of combat sequences in Torment : ToN vs. Planescape where there were scores for un-fun forced combat sequences.

I think both of these games are best approached as an interactive novel vs. an standard RPG - combat is definitely the weakest link in both games.

Just finished this too.

I think the main areas where it definitely falls short of PST is the characters and lack of humor. I would also add pacing as the game feels like it is too much “only reading” even when compared to PS:T which always had random fights here and there between the walls-of-texts to break up the monotony. Tide is 95% town crawls.

I think I only did like 5 fights the entire game and I think only 2 or 3 are required because the plot demands it. And those plot “fights” were a breath of fresh air (except for the time the game essentially soft locked in the middle of a long ass fight during an AI opponents turn…end your turn you son of a bitch AKA always the worst bug in turn-based games!)

The lack of interesting characters is the real killer though. That was arguably the best thing about PST. One character has a nice twist right at the end of the game but all their backstories(or lack thereof) and personalities and quest lines are kinda meh and I couldn’t care less.

This is free to play on Steam this weekend…

This showed up on my radar screen for various reasons, and it looked like a good laptop game for long road trips, etc.

Question, though: I’ve got a Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th gen, with an Intel i7-8650u and an integrated Intel UHD 620 graphics processor. Will this run decently on this system?

I’m not sure about the specs, but I just want to point out that Planescape Torment Enhanced Edition is also on sale right now, and is arguably a better game - https://store.steampowered.com/app/466300/Planescape_Torment_Enhanced_Edition/

I don’t think there’s much argument to be made against the original Torment.

$4.99? Done! Thanks

You won’t regret it. PS:T is unforgettable, even after decades. ToN, while a good game, is a one-timer and lacks the impact of the original. I honestly remember little about it now.

Everything Equilsus said x2. PS:T is still my favorite game of all time. Tides, meh.

I’ll be the (somewhat) disagreeing voice here: I thought Tides was pretty good (but not great). I thought PS:T was great, but not nearly as good as everyone else seems to think. At the time I really liked it, but I think that was because I was a sophomore in college and longwinded soliloquies about “What can Change the Nature of a Man?” were right up my alley then. Looking back, I think “yeah, that was a great game for me at the time,” but that’s about it.

So, uh, still I guess try out PS:T before Tides, I guess, but don’t worry if it doesn’t hit you like a ton of bricks.

This. I’ve tried to play Planescape: Torment a second time. The problem is that a second time is problematic. You already know the story. The beginning is a lot of talk that takes a long time. Eventually I had to give up.

But! If you’ve never played it before, you must. YOU MUST! And so the Enhanced Edition at $4.99 is a must buy.

+1 - I played both games back to back over last winter and while I enjoyed the writing of PS:T a lot, I think the actual battle system was really lacking and I spent a lot of time trying to figure out ways to minimize battles.

I enjoyed the battle system in Tides more, and I think there was more variation in the ways in which the story can play out in Tides compared to PS:T - themaically it was a good counter balance to the themes explored in PS:T so I recommend playing both (although not necessarily back to back).

Playing PS:T for the first time, and if it’ll be the only time, I heavily recommend taking stats that improve your dialogue options over anything else. This game is all about the dialogue and writing and if you limit that you won’t get quite the same experience.

+1 to that. Roll a character with 18 int and 18 wis (and then some chr if you can afford it).

IMO it’s a bit of a flaw in a game based around talking to have some of the best talky bits hidden behind stat checks, though I understand the idea behind it.

I’ve played the game multiple times - lost count - and my second play through I set all my ability scores to 25. So many more choices, especially from INT and CHA. Though the overall arch didnt change the smaller stories went in such divergent ways it was almost like a new game.

Dont forget to talk to your companions as well. Love their backstories especially the Vhailor, the tiefling girl, and the githzerai. Morte of course as well.

“Through suffering, we grow strong”