Torment: Tides of Numenera

Dammit, I’m finally in on one of these stupid Kickstarter things. The $45 for both games level seems pretty darn reasonable.

Man are they going to hit the mark in one day? This has got to be the fastest kick in a Kickstarter I’ve seen.

422k in just over 2 hours is huge. This is going to break records.

450K+. Its not even 11:30am ET and they’re more than halfway.

In! Now I think I need to replay Torment. Again.

They’re over $500,000 so far. I wouldn’t be surprised if they hit their goal today.

Just signed up at the $20 level myself. What I’ve seen of Wasteland 2 looks good so far, so I’m willing to back these guys a second time without having received their first game.

If there is such a thing as Kickstarter fatigue it doesn’t appear to be affecting this. According to kicktraq Project Eternity earned around $700k in its first day. This is on pace to annihilate that.

At this pace, I’ll be surprised if they don’t.

Pledged! Looking forward to this one. $569k already.

What a great video.

Holy crap, look at that thing go!

Hilarious video. Also, really heartened they put a thematic question front and centre when talking about the game.

Mostly. I liked it better when it was Fargo talking. The bald guy at the end was ULTRA SERIOUS! That was a little too much.

I had to get in on this. What can change the nature of a sequel? I’m ready to find out.

You know, I hear what you’re saying. I get it. But I think one of the sadder things about the culture we live in is how loving something, really loving something, isn’t cool anymore. You need to speak with your mouth always ready for a sarcastic smirk or, at worst, a sheepish grin. This is a guy who already loves the story he’s making. He loves what he does. He loves what he’s going to do. And I think that’s wonderful. The fact that it’s something I might love too? That’s just a bonus.

Project Eternity evoked memories of Baldur’s Gate. Everybody loved Baldur’s Gate. Great game. I’ll use the F-word. It was fun as hell.

But for me at least, PST evoked an emotional response. The Deionarra theme, Fall-from-grace, that famous exchange with Ravel, the long conversations with Dak’kon exploring the philosophy of the githzerai, etc. I’m not going to use the A-word, but it was much more than throwaway entertainment in a way that has only very rarely been seen since. Actually, the Walking Dead game is the only other example I can think of off the top of my head.

It’s a much smaller audience than genre-revivifying blockbuster like BG1, obviously. But anyone with that sort of connection is going to fund the game right away.

Very excited about this. I think stusser’s comment is right on the nose. Torment was, for me, such a deeply evocative experience. I recall staying up until the wee hours of the morning to finish it, because I could tell I was near the end, and was so emotionally invested that I had to see it through, right then and there.

Jumping on this one day one. It is cool to see them doing so well so quickly.

Holy shit, that trailer gave me goosebumps and nostalgia galore. I was a little worried when this was first announced that they were just cashing in on the Torment name and doing a “spin-off” of PS:T that none of us really wanted, but I’m so glad I was wrong. This might actually have a chance at living up to and possibly even surpassing PS:T. Cannot wait!

I didn’t even watch the video. And and my brain is alternating between “Why are you doing one, when the first isn’t finished yet?” and “Shut Up and Take My Money!”

I’m glad this a successor to Torment that isn’t using the Planescape setting. Now, it has a chance of capturing the same feeling of mystery and newness that PS:T did.

Good point Tyrion. While I loved the setting of the Planes, it really was that sense of the unknown with each new location that made the setting so intriguing. However, it was the writing and the characters that made the game one of my most beloved. It will be cool to see them take that to a new location/setting.