Torment: Tides of Numenera

I keep hoping Beamdog makes an Enhanced Edition before I go back for another P:T run-through. It uses the BG1 engine which is pretty rough. Doesn’t even have the “press alt to highlight” feature.

So much agreement. I missed the Torment boat the first time around. When I finally got to it, RPG quality-of-life improvements had passed it by. It didn’t age well, so for my first exposure I spent most of my time wondering why everyone went nuts for this longwinded, clunky garbage.

Yeah. I said it. Come at me!

It’s a valid issue with attempting to play any older game. PS:T was one of the finest games I’ve ever played, but when I attempted to play it again years later I had to stop early on. I could feel that little issues that more modern games had fixed were going to gnaw at me and ruin the experience. I couldn’t even say what those were, now, as I haven’t touched it in a very long time.

I’d never recommend anyone force themselves to play a game. If it doesn’t grab you, move on. There’s plenty out there. I’m eager to play ToN and hope to have that PS:T feeling again.

I’m looking forward to the finished product, but $45 for a buggy EA build? Uh uh, no way.

Maybe it’s a sense of entitlement, but it sort of irks me that pledging through Kickstarter doesn’t include beta access by default, but purchasing it through Steam does. Not that it matters a whole lot, since I probably wouldn’t play it in an EA state, but still!

Took the words right out of my mouth. I’ve yet to finish the game, put in about 20 hours the last time and I just couldn’t do it. Wasn’t exactly a fan of all the purple prose either.

You likely paid quite a lot less through Kickstarter, too. Usually one of the pledge levels includes beta access. I never bother because I don’t want to play it until it’s done.

It’s increasingly common and sort of dickish, IMO, but that’s what happens when so many shady devs peg their budget on KS at 5% of what it actually is, over-raise by 1000% to meet “stretch goals” that are just features, and still need to cough up the remaining 50% of of the budget by slinking to a real publisher and also probably going Early Access.

Pledging through Kickstarter absolutely did come with beta access, at several tiers. Just not all of them. That’s how I got my copy. And if you want it but didn’t pledge at a tier that did, they’ll still let you drop $20 for the privilege. By (non)coincidence, $25 was the lowest pledge that got the game (outside of the early bird tier), and $25+$20 = the Steam EA price.

I was feeling grumpy about the EA thing too, but then I realised I paid $20 for the game.

Yeah, it’s $45 to buy it these days so if you got it for $20 or $25 back in Kickstarter, that’s just good business sense. I wouldn’t be surprised if (because PoE had this, iirc, if nothing else, and I think Wasteland 2 did as well) you can probably go to some sort of rewards/backer page and pay the remainder to get a key in Steam or something.

Same here. I still remember that feeling when I watched the end game animation. It was an epiphany of nihilism for me. More intense than watching MacReady share his drink with Giles.

I STILL have never played it.

You can.

Yeah, Seems $45 is the minimum entry point to get beta access, whether Steam, or minimum KS pledge plus the beta add-on. So, all good.

I backed at the minimum and won’t add beta. Too much other stuff to play without adding unfinished stuff. heck I have enough of that as well anyway.

If they had to price it at $45 to be fair to the Kickstarters, that’s understandable. I still won’t be buying it until it’s released, however.

I imagine it will be at least $45 at launch, too, just an FYI.

That ending blew me away. I don’t think I’ve ever had a more emotional reaction to a game, though Last of Us is also right up there. I didn’t really get nihilism from it, but of satisfied fulfillment. I totally see how you did though.

I can’t imagine why anyone would want to play a game like Torment in beta, let alone pay for the privilege. Its like selling movie tickets for $10, or you can pay $15 and we’ll tell you who dies before the movie starts! Maybe that’s a business opportunity? I don’t understand people.

I’m dying to play Torment, and I wouldn’t taint the experience by playing the beta if you offered me $20 payment. Anyway, I’m glad you beta weirdos exist, you make the game better for everyone else.

Probably, but by then it will be in better condition (presumably).