Torment: Tides of Numenera

Putting in stretch goals that will make more people support the project will greatly affect others in the wild internet that this is a solid project in the long run; so more people will pledge. It is a snowball effect.

No.

Kickstarter doesn’t need to track stretch goals. They are on the webpage and it’s a direct exchange of money for features.

No, it isn’t. You can keep repeating that if you want, it remains untrue.

Which point are you debating, that the goals are on the webpage or that they are an exchange of money for features?

I mean, both those things are obviously true.

The latter, which is not only not obviously true but in fact entirely untrue. The exchange of money is for the reward tier selected, if any, and that is it. They can certainly decide to advertise that they will offer additional features as their budget expands but the money is not being exchanged for those features. Hell, it’s not at all uncommon for them to shuffle around goals or simply declare them achieved because there is no intrinsic tie between the feature and the cash.

Something that - is- an direct exchange of money for stuff and still isn’t part of the actual Kickstarter process, btw? Addons. KS doesn’t support or track them, hence aftermarket pledge management software being a big business these days.

Pedantry. Kickstarter doesn’t need to support addons for them to count.

People saw “Italian translation” on the webpage, then they paid for it. That is a direct exchange of money for features.

Yeah the IT translation being dropped is less defensible than the rest of it (delayed release on a few of the companions, the codec, crafting being vastly modified from what it was, etc.). I can understand the outrage from that, but even then they were up front about the IT translation (though I only saw that communicated on Facebook, not the Kickstarter page…?) being dropped and offered up refunds for that immediately.

You drive by McDonald’s. Your kid points to the Happy Meal sign.

“I’ll have a Happy Meal with a cheeseburger, please,” you tell the cashier.

“That’ll be four dollars thirty cents,” comes her surly reply.

You give her four dollars and thirty cents, she hands you a brightly colored box.

You get home, and there are no french fries in the box. Do you want a refund, or do you want the fries they promised and you paid for?

By your analogy, than people who paid for the game before a certain stretch goal was reached wouldn’t be entitled to it - only people who paid after it was reached would be entitled to it. Right? Or are you entitled to something if the stretch goal isn’t reached?

No. People saw Italian translation on the website, and then they pledged money for a reward tier. They may only have wanted it if the Italian translation existed, but that isn’t what they exchanged money for.

Yes. I do this. I am also careful with which projects I back though and will drop it if i don’t think the stretch goal will be met. I will also drop it if i think the stretch goal is not reasonable or unlikely to occur.

Stretch goals have been a key component in a lot of campaigns… as in I’ve seen campaigns stopped without stretch goals and restart later with them. Stretch goals encourage buzz and sharing.

I don’t know how common that is, but I’m sure some people do that. It is pretty common to increase your pledge for a stretch goal you care about.

But this seems more an act of hope than a binding contract.

When stretch goals are achieved they are just something that’s added to the overall scope of the project. If the scope changes during development, why should stretch goals be treated differently than any of the other objectives that made up the projects scope?

Exactly. Stretch goals are just expanding the scope of the project (hopefully) in line with the increased budget of the project. Yes, they help drive interest, otherwise they would do that budgeting in private. But they aren’t a contract.

Because your customers deliberately paid for them.

As other’s mentioned above, and my post implied. You have no basis for claiming that.

The menu said Happy Meals include french fries. I want my fries.

Nothing is stopping you ordering fries dude.

The fries were supposed to be in the box.

Next time you want fries, buy fries and don’t crowdsource a box then!