Tortuga - A Pirate's Tale or Turn based Sid Meier's pirates

On sale and only on Epic this seems like an update to the classic 2004 SM Pirates (or the older 80s classic if you are that aged). Its strategy RPG with capturing and managing a fleet and RPG elements and all the Pirate actions that feel at home for the fans of the old classic

You can watch Splattercatfgaming play for bit, if you want to see how much of a homage it is. which appears to be quite a bit of one!

I really want to play it, but I’m inclined to wait till it stops being an exclusive on Epic. Which considering how much i love Pirates…is taking ALL my willpower.

Lol, I think most of us are

Interesting! If I’m not mistaken, it’s the third in a series of games which last appeared in 2007, published by Ascaron which was later taken over by Kalypso (aside from the Sacred IP which went to Deep Silver);

• Pirate Hunter (aka Tortuga: Pirates of the New World) in 2004
  • Tortuga: Two Treasures in 2007

I actually enjoyed Two Treasures despite not-great reviews, but honestly those are so old to be irrelevant. I’m just kind of tickled they chose to continue the series after all these years since its uncelebrated history.

I could absolutely enjoy some Pirates. Also yup, count me in as one that first played these games with the original on the C64, in the 80s. Last time I played a similar game was I think on the PSP, so my nostalgia meter is woefully-undercharged, or, from the perspective of Epic’s ability to siphon funds from me, ready to be exploited! Bring it dammit, I will reserve my willpower for other challenges :-P

Does it have dancing?

hehe, funny, that is pretty much what I remember most from the PSP version I last played!

I got this on Xbox and streamed it a bit. Seems fun and deep enough for me. Real time sailing with turn based combat.

This is indeed the same team which made the two old games.
They split off from Ascaron when that company imploded. This team had a reputation for reliably shipping good games at a solid pace. So Kalypso bought them their old IPs (Patrician, Port Royale, Tortuga) and provided funding in exchange for a majority stake in the studio. A few years ago they swallowed up the rest of the shares.
Their last game for Ascaron, the Sacred 2 console port, plus the IP, went to Koch Media / Deep Silver (now part of Embracer Group).

I don’t know much about the new game. The only thing I think I remember is that it’s supposed to be what their original plan for the first Tortuga was: Port Royale minus the trading plus some Pirates.

Ship combat is turn based? Suddenly a lot less interested.

In contrast I am far more interested by turn based combat.

This looks to have real-time combat.

the real time version of this is Skull and Bones fwiw ;) I like both.

Typically, I (a)vastly prefer turn-based. But I was watching Splat play this and kept wishing it was real-time. I think being turn-based causes issues here, at least for me. I want to be able to avoid enemy shots with skillful maneuvering (or just having a more maneuverable ship), for instance. That’s not a thing here.

That video did not give me a good impression but I’m not sure if that is due to the game or the streamer. I’m not familiar with the streamer but he made a bad impression on me - not good on explanations, some very questionable decisions and an annoying attitude. (I don’t typically watch streamers so I might be biased).

So I’m seeking more info/impressions the game.

I watch him all the time, fwiw, so the impression on my part was from the game.

Well, here’s my issue with the streamer: it’s not clear to me that your impression is correct b/c the streamer explained NOTHING about the ship battles, maneuverability or any of that stuff. I could imagine that battle he showed was between two small maneuverable ships and thus there was no maneuver advantage. Perhaps with bigger, slower ships, there’s a difference? That’s the kind of somewhat deeper impression I’m interested in. As a viewer, I was provided no clue at all as to that.

Certainly that battle seemed kind of naff which both ships pirouetting about like ballerinas but is that indicative of all battles or just battles between the early, small ships?

I need more info.

Horatio Nelson disapproves of your attitude.

I’m super curious. I love Pirates!, from the original to the remake. And the videos I’ve seen make it look like an update of sorts. Minus sword fighting (bummer) and dancing (yay!). And turn-based ship combat is fine by me.

I’m just not yet ready to take the plunge. But I’d love to read about it :)

It’s understandable to want those insights. That’s simply not what this guy does on his YouTube channel. He does first/early impressions. That’s his thing.

I played a couple hours last night. This will be a stream of thought data dump as I have had no coffee yet and the kido is screaming. Real time open world exploration that turns into a turn based battle once you raise your pirate flag and get close to a ship. You can recruit other captains and increase your fleet. So far only got the one extra capt from tutorial. Othera have qualifiers to recruit of either more money or rep with a certain nation. Yep multi ship turned based battles. Combat is pretty good thus far and prolly better as you upgrade ships and level up captains and unlock skills. Lots of skills, first captain has a taunt skill, I took a ramming one and a boarding boost. Lots of good options between passive boost and timed clickies. Towns are just like Pirates. Shipmaster, market, tavern and governor. Lots of quest at tavern and Gov. About 25ish goods you can trade. No dancing, no fencing. I wish there was fencing
Boarding is a text thing with 3 options that very in success chance. Each one cost a number of guys to execute and then has a sliding scale of effectiveness. So one might be a 40% chance of success, cost 3 men but will move you 30% towards victory if you succeed but only 5% to defeat if you fail. 100% either way dictates the outcome. Amount of men effect those %. It’s pretty neat and has an accompanying flavor text to go with it. RNG can be evil here though as I failed a 90% chance one that was a duel with the other capt and it had a 100% loss. Ouchie. You can attack towns and take over pirate havens. Done neither.

Overall I’m digging it, very Pirates! like but more going on with no mini games.