Total War: Attila

Warhammer was the first TW game I was able to get into. Other than the fantasy theme, how much does Warhammer diverge from other Total War games? What I’m getting at is, if I’m enjoying Warhammer, is there a reason to go back and get Attila other than the historical themes/map?

I was joking about the ERE, for the reasons you state.

And I agree the Germanic tribes are one of the most thematic, but they are also kinda a tricky spot. Though making a North African Vandal Kingdom can be quite the fun thing. Starting as a tribe along the Baltic or in the British Isles is going to be your best bet to play a learning game without the dire threat of Attila himself, which we agree is a good place to be.

Oh starting as the Germans sucks! But not only are they thematic but they’re also fast to play - you’ll die many times before you find a way to survive but at least it won’t take all that long.

The strategic management is watered down a bit in warhammer, that may or may not be something you’d like to see more of by playing one of the historicals like Attila.

The overall game design though is pretty much the same in all of them, strategic campaign map for the turn based portion coupled with tactical RTS battles.

If you like that basic game-play design then I’d say heck yeah pick up Attila at 75% off, even one complete campaign would make that worth it. And this is just personal preference, but I’d pick up Age of Charlemagne if you did decide to pull the trigger, it’s about as close as we’ve gotten to a MTW3 and it’s one of the better DLCs CA has put out in awhile in my opinion.

Thanks, easytarget, I’ve wishlisted it and will pick it up next time it’s on sale.

Like right now on bundle stars? https://www.bundlestars.com/en/game/total-war-attila

Thanks, looks like I saw your reply in the nick of time. :)

Thanks Endigm . I am a little late in responding, but tried a variant on that tactic with ERE - “This is Total War” achievement. Found a corner in the southeast one step away from Arabian peninsula. It isn’t great but I managed to hold! Fought my way through the sassinids and lankmids (spelling? I have nicknames for all of them). and found my garden spot to plot world conquest against everyone. NOT a garden, though, but sufficient.

AD406 more or less, two provinces and just to let anyone know who reads this, the white huns come south straight towards you if you take the southeast corner. Almost disastrous. I have nothing of the old ERE left, I am in exile almost to India, and I have 4 1/2 loyal legions of around 5-6 units each. VH/VH. That 1/2 isn’t so loyal. But I am starting to make some cashola, food is no longer a problem, and the ancient Arabians are pondering their decision not to armour their troops.

I liked the upper/lower nile idea but leaves you too vulnerable in the red sea and north and west across North Africa (in other words, I failed that attempt).

One thing to those of you going Attila/Rome or other TW after Warhammer: TW:Warhammer is a very elegant design that uses all of cw skill with past games, along with some truly fantastic battles, magic, and great unit upgrading and rpg elements, to make it work extremely well. Very few of the older tw games can compete with THAT combination. I actually bounced off of shogun 2 because of the period (though the last addon for shogun 2 is great – The Last Samauri? lol – Tom Cruise’s addon?) But Attila is probably the best of the older TW games, in my opinion, for mixing meta, campaign, and tactical gameplay.

There is a certain impetus in playing a period/war-period/era (including Fantasy (Dwarves!)) that makes you resist the bounce off. Just my opinion, but for example if you love Roman conquests and are a student of roman history (even if an amateur one like myself) it builds interest. Probably obvious, but true enough.

uh --I was vaporized in that attempt in ad 410. Durn ol sassinids.

Total War-wise I may be close to getting my “This is Total war” chievo as ERE == just broke through into Palestine and my arch-rivals the Sassinnids (sp) are giving up ground. They (CA) did a great job trying to mix the strategic with the tactical in this one. As well as the guns and butter. 33 days and counting – its AD 433. Atilla has been my favorite Total War of all the total wars and primarily for the strategic elegance.

Congrats on that, could not have been an easy one to get, but then that’s the point of that achievement, haha!

This is one of my favorites as well, for me I’d rank it right behind Shogun 2 for the modern warscape games they’ve made.

Thanks for your kind congrats! Uh … I may have spoke too soon … I haven’t quite managed to secure Arabia and I am blocked in Egypt. My decision to go with heavy cav (supplementing my heavy inf) with no missile weapons may have been a mistake. This game (eg, my current Attila:Total War game for the chievo) is resembling a WWI trench slog.

Done. Whew. I wish I could link the achievement. That was not easy,

This is easily the best use of Queen in a Total War game, and possible the best Total War video i’ve ever seen. I was smiling ear to ear the whole time.