Total War developer Creative Assembly fiddles while Rome II loads

I have actually thought about this, if someone actually does try to mimic the formula they are going to put CA out of business overnight. CA is notorious for thinking they can release dogshi!t for months at a time with no repercussions. After all these years, if another company does it better or even just as well, I wouldn't even pick up a total war game from the bargain bin

Counterpoint:

Someone already has. The King Arthur games by neocore (published by Paradox) are a direct riff on the Total War formula. They mix in some fantasy elements too, but the basics are the same.

You know what? Nowhere near as good as most of the TW series. Certainly doesn't hold a candle to the best games like Napoleon. It's comparing the Buffalo Bills to a really good division 2 college team. The Bills might be terrible, but they would blow even the best of such teams off the field. While there are plenty of ways to improve upon what CA does, it has historically done some great things.

The caveat: I've played hundreds of hous in most TW games and many Paradox ones. I have not played Rome II. It might very well be that bad. Just that the consensus worst (Empire) is still better than their best competitor attempts at the style.

Can I get a definition on what an "egotistical trashbag" is? Does this refer to a trashbag that has become self-aware? Is that like a feature now? Instead of trashbags that don't break, this one is egotistical? This trashbag may not have built-in twist ties, but it will tell you what it thinks?

I'd say the Sword of the Stars games are also essentially the same sort of turn-based campaign overlay with real-time tactical battles. And I think there's at least one or two others.

I long ago decided the TW games just weren't for me, but this one sounds like a huge mess, knowingly shoved out the door in a completely broken state. CA has a rep for message board astroturfing, Tom, so be prepared for that nonsense.

Then you must be aware that Steam didn't exist at the time and it's not like we had any means of tracking the exact amount of time that we played. It might range from your assumption of 'a few' to tens of thousands. In either case, it's more than enough to make an educated opinion on the subject matter unlike the one we have here above on this so-called review.

Just a comment on the comments, but have you noticed most people who disagree with the review have little to no concept of spelling or grammar? Now I'm not implying that's a direct indicator of a low level of intelligence and maturity. No, I'd never imply that. I would; however, say it.

They're not lucky, it's a niche area that some less able tried to tap on but spectacularly failed. That's why Metacritic bombing and irresponsible reviews like this one will hurt the fans more than the company, because CA will just move on to making cash cow MOBA games where people's expectations are so low it's not funny.

Think about it the next time you play a knee-depth shallow game with no bugs.

Spot on about the documentation. I don't get how developers think they can introduce a bunch of new stats and systems and don't provide a means for the player to learn about them except through trial and error. I've been playing Elder Signs: Omens (for android) and it also suffers from his problem pretty heavily.

I liked the idea they were playing with in Rome 2 but the implementation is just abysmal.

The interface killed it for me. I played it for two hours and then got out Warlock and didn't stop playing for 9 hours. Something must be wrong with me.

A one out of five (stars), actually. You must be getting your rating from Metacritic. And if it's as broken as it seems to be, it doesn't even deserve a one out of ten. "Not what you expected?" Maybe he expected a completed piece of software.

Err . in college and high school you are basically spotted 6 points...no one really gets 42s or 20s in math..

OMG I was thinking about that post the other day. Thank you so much!

I agree. Civ 5 is dumbed down and filled with bad design choices, but it's not Rome 2 bad.

underscore

Dude, I have played the game and I cringe every time i have to press the turn button, or when I get into siges that don't work and I sit there for 30 mins waiting for the bloody battle to end..if its not bugged to hell so I have to restart and auto-resolve. This isn't a sign of a good game.

I wanted it so badly to be good, but it just isnt.

What topsy turvy world are we living in where most people THANK and AGREE with a negative review of an A list game from Tom?!? I think i saw a pig fly by the window!

I *think* Fucker of Tom Chick is a parody post, but with good parody it's hard to be certain. Either way, brilliant post.

As someone who teaches college-level math -- yes, people certainly do get 40s and 20s in math, much to my chagrin.

Thanks for being honest Tom. Sites and publications like PC Gamer have been breathlessly hyping this for a year now, it's sad that it doesn't measure up... but also, not exactly surprising.