Total War developer Creative Assembly fiddles while Rome II loads

Bugs will be fixed as with every other game eventually. I really do not get how people constantly complain about bugs on release day and base their scores and reviews on them. They are not a part of the game, they are to be removed. Go ahead and try criticizing the fucking game for once instead of the bugs. The score remains but the bugs do not.

CA advertised this game in more ways than you have described. For example, they released images showcasing what we were to believe weren't even final-product graphics- this is in fact very similar to the car colour analogy.

Furthermore, the game should not be given a free pass simply for its production values- as Richard correctly pointed out, we review products against their peers; note that you said 'grade school 7' and 'professional 6', which already implies a clear difference between their abilities.

totally agree :( i was expecting a lot from the sequel but oh god i reinstalled rome 1, what can i say totally dissapointed in the game

They are now on patch 3. Game is still shit. I could spend time listing out all the ways, but who cares. Uninstall.

dont waste your time reading a review by a person who hates RTS and TBS games

You're an idiot. They never fixed any of the game breaking bugs in ETW. Its still just as broken as the day I bought it. Reviewers didn't give it a 0/10 for the same reason this shit has an 80 average on metacritic, genius!

So you agree they are scored on a 3 star scale, but defend the useless 7 stars to the death?

Right. No one bombed Empire. We bought it. They didn't fix it ever. They came out with 3 new games instead!

It's not that I 'defend it to death,' but I certainly see no problem with it. I don't see what the difference is between a 3 star scale and a 10 star scale where 7 of the stars are useless. There is no lost value because 7 of the stars aren't used, and a 3 star system is more than sufficient (even a 2 star system is sufficient for most media -- see Siskel and Ebert's 2 thumbs up).

You people are the ones whining about scores being 'inflated' and going on about score scales, not me. I reiterate that I think it's some hangup about numbers that for some reason you people cannot get over.

That's what you get when you target an aggregate demographic like Metacritic instead of trying to please the actual human beings who will play your strategy game - you focus-group yourself into disaster.

Shogun 2 was the Civilization IV of the Total War series. Rome II is the Civilization V.

That was just spot on, as the rest of this article I recon. I salute the fact that you seem to be one of the few - should I say "very few" ? - reviewer who gave me the feeling they actualy played the game for more than 25 minutes and have seen it as the mess this Rome 2 is.

Apart from the cockroach swarm and whack a mole C&C tactics that seem to be in vogue since the Napoleon release (does the average "strategy" gamer get bored after 3 minutes now?), this is a real hatred of mine.
Archers running down the hill to engage in melee with spearman before they take the magical ground? Please.
The magical victory point system totally negates the sort of tactics that Fabius Maximus employed to foil Hannibal's invasion of the Italian peninsular. This is gamey and shifts the focus from a contest of armies to some kind of paint ball get the flag routine.
Despite how beautiful everything looks, I'm sad to say this franchise might be done. Like so many classic franchises before it. sigh

RTW2 looks more like a damned Alpha than a beta. Boats going through the land, flagrant downgrades from what was advertised and what is actually there, the UI...
CA, back to the drawing board with you. You'd better hope you don't get a lawsuit in the future.

I love CIV V. Rome 2 is a mega letdown for me I've been a huge fan of the series.

Well this is totally unfair. Civilisation 5 actually turns on and does not lag for no reason. Oh, and the buildings have pictures.

Please... PLEASE for god sake change the web background from blue to white and the text to black.

But hey, blind fanboy-ism.

Agreed totally until the end. IMO Shogun 2 had nothing special except the multiplayer.
Also: Civ V > Civ

Thank you for the HONEST review!

I don't know what the other posters were smoking, but I give this game a 1 star as well. After 7 patches in @ 11 weeks it's still garbage.

I played multiplayer competitively in tournaments since Empire. the multiplayer in Rome 2 deserves a negative 1 star.

Give it a rest (asshole).