Total War: Pharaoh

Enemy armies aren’t the only challenges to overcome on the battlefield. Lead your soldiers through sudden and dramatic shifts in weather, such as torrential rain and sandstorms, and witness the tides of battle turn as it directly impacts the surrounding terrain. Beware the threat of fire too, as battles can become engulfed in flames, striking and spreading across the battlefield as it burns forests and damages the foundations of enemy settlements.

Prove your legitimacy to become Pharaoh, or Great King of the Hittites, and expand your growing empire on a campaign map that spans the rich cultural hubs of Egypt, Canaan and Anatolia. With a choice of eight Faction Leaders, step into their unique playstyles and take charge of diverse unit rosters. Whether you’re charming the courts as a peerless diplomat, charging into battle as an unwavering commander or causing chaos as a fearless warlord, become a leader that history will remember.

On your journey to becoming Pharaoh, uncover a beautifully lush and vibrant recreation of ancient Egypt at the height of its power. From the fertile banks of the river Nile to the windswept, arid deserts of the Sinai Peninsula and the mountainous crags of ancient Anatolia, this magnificent visual reimagining brings the beauty and brutality of Egypt’s most tumultuous era to life.

With a brand-new Campaign Customisation feature, no two campaigns will ever feel the same. Determine how you play with an extended range of campaign customisation options, such as random starting positions for all factions, detailed resource settings, the ability to toy with natural disasters and much more. With an abundance of options, stack the odds against yourself for an added challenge or become an unmatched power to breeze your way to victory.

After years of playing and struggling with these, I’ve come to the realization that they’re just not for me. They should be. I love RTS games, and I love strategic map games, but the Total War series just doesn’t do it for me.

This looks great though, so enjoy!

I’m in the same boat - it really bums me out because these check so many of my boxes but the whole is somehow less than the parts even when (as in this case) the theming is also right up my alley. Looks awesome for folks for whom this formula works, though!

After buying TW:W III and not really taking to it like I did to II, I also think my interest in these games has run its course. This is something I might pick up one day on deep sale, but unless there is something dramatically new and appealing about the gameplay, it’s a pass for me.

Yup! I agree. A game in ancient Egyptian wars? Oh, man! I’d be all over this otherwise.

The problem is that it’s the same game, more or less, since Rome 1 from 2004, with just more and more decorations and baubles hung off its robes.

I like them, but I have never played any of the titles for 100 hours or anything crazy like that. I still have pending to play TW: Warhammer 2 and 3… actually, I still have pending to play Orks and Empire factions (from the first one) too.

I totally burnt out on the series years ago and just hope one day they freaking make Total War: Medieval 3. They say they will, but so far no joy.

I still enjoy the historical titles.

And Bronze Age Collapse is a great setting, if they go further than Egypt. Real room for expansion and inventiveness.

Oh man, I love me some Total War and I love me some ancient Egypt. I skipped the last historical TW (Three Kingdoms), however, and I wonder if the historical settings can really provide the same spectacle as fantasy.

That said, I’m eagerly looking forward to nitpicking their presentation of Egypt (not that I’m a historian, at all). I noticed the khopesh and they mentioned the Hittites. I didn’t really see any chariots in there, though? I would guess they’re probably going for New Kingdom Egypt, since that’s when we have most information about impressive military campaigns (Ramesses II and Thutmose III), which is what I would assume they mean by “height of [Egypt’s] power”. I also noticed the pyramids were clad in white (limestone) with gold caps, which is maybe anachronistic by the New Kingdom? Not sure what historians think about that timing.

Interested to see if they go in for a lot of monument and tomb building. Of course it would be very ahistorical to have a New Kingdom pharaoh building a pyramid, but if you’re going to put in any Egyptian monument building, surely players will want a pyramid?

Nubia / Kush is not mentioned there, I wonder if that will be an expansion? Or maybe the Sea Peoples (whoever they were)?

…clearly I’m a bit over-excited about this. Obviously, Egypt would have been my first choice for their next setting.

Oh yea there’s going to be an Atilla-sequel Sea Peoples invasion DLC / Sequel.

Atilla was by far my favorite Total War experience, even more than all the giant spells of Warhammer… but I don’t have enough lives to do it again. Fighting every siege battle, dozens and dozens manually, to eke out an advantage from nothing. Just don’t have that kind of time any more.

Of course I’ll get it. Whether I play it is another matter ;).

I wouldn’t call 100 hours anything like crazy for a strategy game like this. Any really good strategy game of this sort should hold my attention for around that long at a minimum, to my mind.

I’ll consider it when the Passover-themed expansion is released. 40 years of open-world gameplay.

There were chariots somewhere in there that I saw. As for the pyramids, this screenshot has one with much more wear.

Nice, Total War is second only to Europa Universalis in the strategy game pantheon for me. Neat setting idea too, Warhammer just wasn’t my thing.

Sea People’s are an almost certain lock in for a horde faction/expansion. Fits the apparent timeline perfectly. Also, they can do whatever they want with them, since there’s so little consensus.

Nubia also is a good expansion target.

I really hope this expands into a full Late Bronze Age game.

Me too. If this was some elegant Grand Strategy RTS along the lines of Knights of Honour or Hegemony, then I’d be right there cheering along, though.

It’s still too early to judge this one, but it sure looks promising and you might have it on the radar once/if it releases:

My last TW games were Napoleon and Shogun2, which were both pretty good.

I have zero interest in Warhammer and super units in a game like this, but even though this is historical again, I’ll echo the sentiment that I feel like I’ve played out the formula enough to not be that interested. I’m still interested in tactical army battles… I wonder what other format might appeal. Maybe it’s that the strategic layer is too involved to also play lengthy tactical battles, maybe it’s that the tactical battles are often too lopsided and gamey, the speed kinda bonkers and the units sizes almost representative but not quite.

Maybe I need to try Field of Glory 2 or something less sprawling.

Hegemony: Ancient Egypt, I could totally get behind that.

That does look intriguing.

RIght now Old World is going a good job of giving me my ancient world strategy fix.

I wonder if they will force natural year campaigns always starting from close to the capital/center of power (so limited objectives/clear attrition).

That’s how warfare in the period seemed to go and it’s a great fit for a Total War style game.