Total War: Three Kingdoms

So recent forays have led me onto another adaptation of RoTk called “The Ravages of Time.” Sima Yi is the main character in this one, and the author inserts him into various events preceding his actual introduction in the novel. Some of the more famous strategists in the novels (ie. Guo Jia, Jia Xu, Zhou Yu etc.) are now students of the same teacher, so they contend against each other with a shared past.

Naturally it’s a lot less faithful to the original than Sangokushi, but it does seem to break out of the usual depictions in interesting ways (Dong Zhou is now a fit, charismatic general, Lu Bu is no dummy, etc.) I gathered all this by spoiling myself on this tvtropes page, so I can’t speak to the actual quality of writing/fan translation.

The art style reminds me of the art in Blade of the Immortal, though not quite as well done. Definitely lacks the flair and the spectacular fight scenes that I’ve only come across in Blade, but I assume it makes up for it by having an actual story.

It started in 2001, and it’s maybe 3/5ths through the tale? Maybe another another 10 years to go before it’s through.