Total War: Three Kingdoms

Yeah the delay actually makes me more confident in the game.

Creative Assembly announces Three Kingdoms Mobile Mode.

https://threekingdomsmobilemode.totalwar.com

Yeah they should stick out of trying to be funny.

I miss old school website design like that. Ahhh the repeating background image.

I know, that webpage design was really fun! Webring, page visit counter, and Netscape.

Lynx-optimized mode…

We live in a lesser world now that page counters are gone.

Ooh, this has Mandarin voice acting. My interest level has gone up a notch.

Embargo’s just dropped for this btw, so expect to see reviews popping up. I’ve seen Eurogamer’s go live, as has PCGamesN and ours (Strategy Gamer). More to follow I imagine.

I love the Three Kingdoms period, but Total War games have just… never done it for me. They’ve gotten oh so close, but I think I just need more on the strategy layer (the battles are awesome but I find them really tedious after a while). Because it’s Three Kingdoms I’ll probably get suckered into buying it so I can be disappointed by a Total War game for the nth time, but hopefully reviews aren’t too great so I end up doing that when it’s on sale or something. :)

I did not realize this was releasing so soon! I have barely scratched the surface of the Warhammers. Yikes.

Here’s some:

eurogamer: 4/5 too many things, bad UI
pcgamer: nice UI, nice diplomacy. This person has played total wars.
strategygamer: Most detailed look at changes - only one that mentions research is changed.

Looks pretty good. I’ll miss the self-insertion-create-a-general element from the koei games, but engaging tactical battles would be a new thing for the RTK setting.

Ahhh, 99 war 99 int 99 char officers.

TWarhammer2 has a mod that lets you hire custom generals with custom traits so conceivably someone might make one for 3K.

Wonder if that’ll be DLC down the line too.

There seems to be something like mild worry as CA is flooding Youtube now with “Influencers” playing Three Kingdoms, many of them just repeating each other as well. Pretty much anyone who plays Total War as their main activity on their channel has been recording and streaming the pre-order bonus (Yellow Turbans) for the last few days.

RPS had a very positive review.

I actually haven’t been paying any attention, so the move towards CK2 style interactions between characters is news to me and sounds really cool.

What is the context of the mild worry? I’m not sure I follow.

PartyElite (he’s the guy with the 40 part Total War Warhammer Beginner’s Guide that has been linked here a bunch of times) says that the additions to the Strategy Layer are really great, but he didn’t find the tactical layer all that compelling and ended up autoresolving a lot. So you might actually like this one.