Total War: Three Kingdoms

This has driven me to buy all 3 volumes of the Three Kingdoms to read.

Oh I think it’s great for them to include two options! I just kind of wish they had made it more obvious to me that I should have fussed with the filter option earlier.

It’s actually interesting that they used some ReShade-esque filters, as all the best screenshots from the Warhammer games are definitely using them.

Nice. I enjoyed them, although the version I read 20 years ago had the old translation style (or whatever you call it). You know, instead of Cao Cao it was T’sao T’sao. Zhuge Liang was Chuko Liang. Most were obvious but some took some work to map over with the characters and places I was familiar with from the games. :)

Eh - I think that is closer to the actual pronunciations though, so it’s not all bad.

I bought this edition:

When I looked at the list of major characters at the beginning (no way I am remembering all of those) they looked to be using the same system as the game, so that should help me.

Archers was an expensive unit and hard to train, this is something total war always gets wrong and why they are so hard to balance. Ranged is king as long as bullets are free and plentiful.

Lol exactly!

For those who want to listen to the story instead of reading the story, there’s the Romance of the 3 Kingdoms Podcast, which I started listening to thanks to @SamS post way up thread.

One nice benefit of listening to the podcast over reading it is you learn how to pronounce the names correctly. From what I can tell the podcast follows the book quite closely, at least the sections I’ve checked. Although sometimes he’ll skip names of minor characters if they get killed immediately after being introduced. He’ll also sometimes abbreviate really long poems giving reference to the longer version on his website. (He’ll also sometimes go on tangents to explain the historical context of references the characters use).

Damn, I’ve got an extremely long drive coming up soon, so this is very timely, thank you.

Cool. Added that to podcast addict for listening in the car, and probably when I fly to Lisbon later this year.

How are people finding the difficulty on the campaign map? I’ve been steamrolled twice by Yuan Shao now. The first time was a stupid mistake on my part, but the second time the AI did a good job of using two stacks to draw out and cut off one of my armies.

John Zhu has done such a great job making this more than just a podcast - it’s an excellent resource for all kinds of ROTK related information - maps, character relationships, historical information and links to other sites.

I’m playing as Cao Cao and I’m finding it challenging. The opposing armies on the campaign map don’t do overtly stupid things and instead often finds way to make my life rather difficult. Example: laying siege to a settlement, my 2nd army maneuvering to cut off reinforcements that manage nonetheless to beat me to the settlement and attack the army laying seige changing the odds such that I had to retreat. This is a fairly typical experience I’m having.

I’ve still got no idea what I’m doing with most of the game, that’ll come with time and figuring it out is half the fun. So far, I’m very impressed.

I’m about to be steamrolled by Yuan Shao. My main army was down south, and he invaded from three different directions from the north, with armies bigger than any I had up there.

To those that who has no time to read Three Kingdoms, I’d suggest watching this TV series from China with subtitles:

I promise it’s so much better than AGOT and Cao Cao for the win:

tumblr_mjhj6jANfE1s7o6cuo1_r1_250

YXO0DMM

I can only attest that the Chinese probably would have superior firing rate and more powerful because of invention of repeating crossbow during the warring period and further refinement during three kingdoms. The best variant of it was named after, wait for it, the protagonist of the novel/game, Zhuge Liang, hence the crossbow is also known as “cho-ko-nu”, cho-ko being the bastardisation of Zhuge’s name.

I’ve seen some discussions around people complaining about the archers. My take, I can recruit them too so fight fire with fire.

And here’s the thing, I can route them w/o much trouble by running some cav into them which isn’t terribly hard to do. Plus, that faster fire rate = faster out of ammo. I’m not fighting particularly lengthy battles and they are running out of ammo if you don’t look after them and tell them to hold fire now and again so you’ve got some left when you need it most (needless to say the AI for the most part does not do this and runs out).

The AI in warhammer downright suck at the ranged game…

Hmm easy … that is a good point. But I wonder – if we should believe that a battle combat is semi-realistic (in this semi-historically battle game) should we consider that archery might be overpowered? As in historically significantly overpowered?

I will play more this weekend and see. It may be a valid complaint I think.

I listened to the first episode and really liked it, but then I went and read it from the book and realized it was very simila (and took me about 1/3rd if the time).

At my current exercising level, it’s going to take me a year to listen to it all, so I’m thinking I’m sticking to the book.