Total War: Three Kingdoms

Ouch. Good luck @CF_Kane!

Yeah the default units cards are absolute shit.

Options > Interface > Alternative Unit Cards

Cool thanks. There is a lot of generic placeholder art in this game that will look awesome once they get made over in mods.

It is the sort of thing that’s only really possible in Romance mode / Warhammer.

It’s basically permanent danger close. What’s a 1000 damage shot to a single unit with 40k HP that most likely doesn’t even get hit?

Has anyone fired up MP coop? From what I’ve seen in vid of people playing it this looks to be a new take on it in that you don’t per se play co-op, you just each start as if you were playing SP as someone and then have the option of joining up once you actually make contact on the map.

And until you’ve allied when you start a battle they can play as the other side of it, or share units and fight against the AI.

This looks like a pretty cool take on co-op if I’m properly understanding how this works.

I put in about 12 hours in a coop Gongsun Zan / Liu Bei campaign. In contrast to TW WH coop, you don’t start allied and can’t see each other’s moves. During battle you can observe (in which case the other coop player can gift units to you which you will control — same as previous TW coop), or you can control the AI troops.

Once we actually connected and were visually able to meet each other (which took more work than anticipated — both factions start in the North East, but there’s some hard slogging to get connected) — we were able to go the the diplomatic menu and negotiate. (Before meeting up, the other player wasn’t listed in the diplomatic menu.)

There was a diplomatic option to join forces and strive to jointly rule China together. From that point on, I think it’s same as previous coops. However, if you didn’t want to do that I believe you can just treat the other player same as other factions on the map — cooperate with them when you want to and fight them when you want to. Can’t say for sure what happens if you don’t join forces, we wanted to do the completely join in a permanent alliance option. So we went with that option as soon as it was available to us.

Until we actually joined up, I had no visibility on the other coop player and as far as the game UI was concerned, he didn’t exist. We ended up calling out province names and looking at the zoomed out map to try to get a sense of what the other player was doing in the fog of war. Plus we got to participate in each other’s battles even though we didn’t have any context on where said battles were taking place.

[Edit] one thing that is disappointing is that some of the character viewing options are disabled when the other player is playing. So you can see your characters, but can’t access the court and can’t check other characters relationships. So some of the stuff you might want to spend your time perusing during the other player’s turn in blocked. IIRC you can poke around your commanderies and look at building chains. You can also look over the tech tree and see the first page of the character sheets, just not the relationships part of the character sheets.

They are fucking awesome man :)

You need to open her up and clean the fans and cooling blocks. Get all those cat hairs out of there with a toothbrush and toothpick.

Thanks very much for the lengthy description. That sounds pretty cool. Would be amusing to play with a treacherous friend. ;)

I’ll continue in my SP campaign because the friend is holding off on purchasing, but definitely sound like something we’re going to fully explore.

Y’all weren’t kidding about the Yuan Shao vassal spam. I think I had six different people across China become his vassal in the span of two turns.

Panel 1: Diplomatic Proposal
Panel 2: Vassalage
Yuan Shao: It seems you need a strong leader to rule over you

There are so, so many.

I have to admit all the Yuan Shao memes are kind of funny, so there’s the silver lining on the bug!

Playing as Cao Cao I captured Lu Bu - it was so satisfying to re-live that part of the novel and spare Lu Bu rather than execute him. I’m sure that won’t have any adverse consequences!

I’m loving my campaign as Cao Cao, but I’ll admit I’m getting pretty frustrated by the Yuan Shao antics. I’ve half a mind to stop accepting coaltions from anyone until this gets tweaked because to accept them is simply to identify them as the next to be vassalized by Yuan Shao, sometimes literally the next turn.

It’s beyond silly at this point and if I try and take it head on by attacking Yuan Shao I’ll have half of China join him in attacking me at the same time, so it’s like committing suicide ending the campaign.

Tried influencing others he’s recently flipped, nothing happens. I even did it repeatedly to one, stayed vassalized. So at the very least they need to make it so I can flip them back.

Also question to anyone who might know: I’ve got a spy embedded as a general and he’s slowly becoming less satisfied so i’m starting to worry he’s going native, there’s no option to pull them back (which strikes me as rather odd) and I don’t have the option to promote him since he’s in the field being a spy, what are you doing to fix this? I can’t figure out what I’m suppose to do as I slowly watch his satisfaction tick down?!

SamS if your computer is rebooting, it may be hardware, overheating etc.

No idea what happened with this. It crashed five or six times, then it just stopped crashing. Gone a dozen hours without a hitch. Didn’t change any setting or drivers. Computers are weird magic boxes and hell if anyone knows how they work.

So with most diplomatic offers, there’s a negotiate button you can press. This takes you to the full diplomacy screen where you can click on all the other factions and see what’s going on. Helpfully, the person you’re negotiating with is placed in a special box at the top so you can easily remember who it was you were talking too. Also, if you mess up the negotiation, you can just press cancel to go back to the previous screen and the offer they gave you originally will still be there for you to accept.

I don’t know if I accidentally found a work around to this without even knowing there was a bug (is this confirmed as a bug?), but I started the game at war with Yuan Shao and simply never accepted any of his peace offers. Since I’m also at war with most of his vassals, I can just pick them off with impunity. We’ll see how well this continues once he’s finished working over northern China and turns his attention to south of the Yellow River.

I think he’s getting unhappy with his current master, not with you. When he comes back he’ll be happy again. This was what happened with my spy in Yuan Shu’s court.

Funnily enough my game Yuan Shao got piled on and he’s now a vassal of Yuan Shu.

In other news, I don’t understand how the diplo marriage option works.

This sounds hilariously wrong, but I’ve adopted 2 women + 1 guy into my family while waiting on the Sun family’s kids to grow up so I can poach them as they turn 18. But that option literally never shows up when I know they’re available. I don’t get it.

Like other total war titles, vassals seem to be ai declaration of war magnets… I lost some reliability because apparently defending my vassal against an ass I had a treaty with will cause me to lose reliability.

Thanks for the detailed responses. Saw a patch this morning, but it’s apparently just technical stuff. I’ll keep soldiering on. I got a suggestion from steam forums to try discrediting the faction my spy is embedded in to improve their satisfaction, going to give that a try tonight. Also, someone mentioned the spy could get tossed out if they were caught stealing, unfortunately who he’s embedded with doesn’t have anything to steal, and even if they did it would just be RNG if they got caught.