Total War: Three Kingdoms

Obviously should be Donald the Barbarian lol.

Ooh history face off!

As much as i’d like to say so i don’t think this period is as important to world history as the Roman Empire - if you want to make that case then you really need to expand what “this period” is to be from about 170 to about 570 AD… and even then i have some big doubts. It’s also just speculation on my part but the original 3K story seems to have elements of what we might call racism, but this is a big stretch that isn’t really either what modern people understand or desire - sort of like how some assert the original King Arthur myth to be Romano-British defense against the Anglo-Saxon invasion, eventually morphing into some kind of fantastical legendarium.

But imo the names of the characters are easier to remember than Japanese because the spelling is so simple. It’s easier to remember Cao Cao or Liz Bei then say Toyotomi Hediyoshi, imo.

Nope. Both are different actors.

This is the guy (Lu Yi 陆毅) from the TV series:

images

And the guy who played Zhuge Liang in Red Cliff was Takeshi Kaneshiro, who enjoys more fame in Asia but gave the character a little more Japanese look because he’s… Half Japanese…

And guess which actor inspired CA’s Zhuge Liang?

My point was not that it was necessarily more important, but much, much well known by the average person (the average person in the West knows pretty much nothing of Roman history but the average person in China -and the population is huge- knows quite a bit about these characters).

So complaining that the names sound weird and unfamiliar is a little bit of cultural blindness.

It’s Sima Yi, right? Can’t recall any character Sims Yi from ROTK lore. Wondering how the game depicted the rise of Sima Yi under Cao Cao’s camp?

What I’m stuck on at the moment is the fact this still has a paint the map victory condition that feels a bit too legacy TW to me. I mean 95 counties? Really?

Vassals count, so it encourages the beat them till they surrender technique. Apparently the opposing kingdoms also surrender as well.

No, because I’m a Westerner and I understand said names.

As a westerner, sounds like a great chance to learn about a very interesting period in world history.

Oh yeah. Still, I was commenting the names are hard for me.

I actually think Japanese names are much easier to differentiate than Chinese ones. All sound same (not really, but at least Takeda Shingen and Toyotomi Hideyoshi have differing numbers of syllables. Liu Bei and Lu Bu on the other hand…)…

Where do I even see victory conditions?

Vassals abandon you and the opposing Kingdoms did not surrender, they simply repeatedly relocate their capitol.

As for where they’re listed, if anyone finds a specific place let me know, I’m just working off the list that pops up in the bottom right of the UI

They also give formations to the whole army according to a video put out by CA.

It’s kind of annoying that Strategists are like the most important dudes to have in an army. And that Commanders are kind of crap at anything other than their ranged block buff.

Commanders also get 100% melee evasion AOE buff.

High level commanders (level 6 minimum, likely higher because of initial starting skills and other pickups) are scary because of that - first they DGAF and run their dudes into you ignoring all the pew pew, then they murder you for free for 30s.

Would probably be good to give them something for the lower levels though.

Are any of yall streaming this? Ive been dying to play this.

I only remember the guys with 90+ War or 90+ Intellect from Romance of the 3 Kingdoms 2 by Koei. I’d use my high Charm Liu Bei to recruit all those guys and top-load my team. Wasn’t there a guy named Wrong Kong?

Kong Rong, and he’s playable in TW3K.

“Intensely focused is on wisdom and learning”. They really went full immersion with the Engrish there, cheeky bastards.

That’s a great silly image!

I’ve always had trouble keeping the Three Kingdom and Water Margins characters seperate.